• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Trousers

tom288

Reaction score
Id like to get a few pair of dress trousers, Ive been looking at Brionis on EHaberdasher. Any opinion on these? Also, as for wearing with maybe a blazer, or even shirts and ties/sweaters, basically more of a dressy look outside of wearing a suit, what are you preferences as far as 100% silk trousers, cotton, or even wool?

I like some of the 100% silk ones along with a couple that are made of wool, and have a heavier look. For instance here are a couple pairs I like:

http://store.ehaberdasher.com/Detail.bok?no=9

http://store.ehaberdasher.com/Detail.bok?no=138

http://store.ehaberdasher.com/Detail.bok?no=470

What do you think?

Thanks

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, Brioni trousers are obviously high quality. Assuming you are OK with the cut and price, you won't go wrong. As to material, 100% wool is my first and usually only choice when it comes to dress trousers (I don't turn down wool/cashmere trousers either
smile.gif
). 100% silk pants are not as versatile not as sturdy as wool, in my opinion. Cotton trousers are tough, but not impossible, to pair with a sportsjacket. The cotton needs to be very fine and soft, almost like wool or the jacket needs to be very casual. Ehaberdasher has a very good reputation on this forum.

BTW, I would wear the second trousers you posted, wouldn't wear the other two.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wool trousers would work well for Fall and Winter, the silk for warmer weather.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I think that the wisdom of woven silk trousers can be challenged for warm-wear use. Despite its seeming lightness and shimmer, silk can be very hot when worn--at least silk of the heft necessary for a pair of trousers (not the glossamer-thin silk seen on shirts)--and doesn't breathe as well as more porous fabrics like linen or a fresco wool. For warm-weather, dressy use, I'd try to find a nice fresco, or simply go with a tropical-weight (5-7 oz.) wool.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
You know, I think that the wisdom of woven silk trousers can be challenged for warm-wear use.
But, they're certainly not for cold weather wear. I have a few pairs of Dupioni silk trousers and they're comfortable up to around 80 degrees.

tom288

Reaction score
I also live in Florida, so it never gets cold like the up north for example, so I think I could get more wear out of silk just based on my location.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads