• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on TOM FORD dress shoes ?

Deeky

Reaction score
Cant' say I agree that TF shoes are lower quality from Carmina / TLB etc. I mean, look at the finishing / bevelling on these:

1593079100434.png

The waist looks even tighter or equal to G&G, finishing looks top notch as well. IMO this is closer to a $1000 shoe (G&G/JL regular line), marked up to $1800. If Carmina / TLB can produce something like that for that price, G&G/JL/EG would already be out of business.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
Yes, fair point.

If I was to rephrase my point it would be that Tom Ford makes good quality shoes, but a large part of the price your paying is for the Tom Ford name and all the overheads that come with it.

Deeky

Reaction score
It is still a fashion brand at the end of the day, but TF is a fashion brand that produces top quality products (same goes for their suits) at a high price.

If you like the look of TF shoes, then you must decide if you mind paying the brand premium. But, I would say that TF shoes have a fairly unique look - the chisel toe is a very aggressive chisel, the shoe is pretty "angular" (not sure how else to describe it) and elongated. One other unique "TF touch" is the high heel across their models. As far as I am aware, no other high end traditional shoemaker does something like this. You can of course try asking them if this look can be reproduced, but a copy will always be a copy...

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually they
Cant' say I agree that TF shoes are lower quality from Carmina / TLB etc. I mean, look at the finishing / bevelling on these:

View attachment 1412438

The waist looks even tighter or equal to G&G, finishing looks top notch as well. IMO this is closer to a $1000 shoe (G&G/JL regular line), marked up to $1800. If Carmina / TLB can produce something like that for that price, G&G/JL/EG would already be out of business.
actually they look pretty great. not sure about construction but ease of purchase and the ability to try them on is also important, not everybody loves to send AM shoes back and forth since they are not known to break in easily.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly changing gears, I'd like to source some Tom Jones bell bottom trousers...

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will admit that the finishing on TF shoes is excellent. Their QC must be very good.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a pair of boots from them once and found them to fit very narrow. I'm not sure if it was just that model or if TF shoes run narrow in general. If you purchase a pair, be sure to get them from a place that accepts returns.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of boots from them once and found them to fit very narrow. I'm not sure if it was just that model or if TF shoes run narrow in general. If you purchase a pair, be sure to get them from a place that accepts returns.
you are correct they are super narrow. none of the TF shoes fit me. just like corthay and G&G.

RapFan

Reaction score
Excellent shoes. Excellent leather. Excellent construction. You will be hard pressed to point out a flaw in the quality of Tom Ford shoes (or suits). Is there a premium tacked on the price? Yes, but there are also unique characteristics about it's asthetics. So if you want that look at that level of quality, you have to pay the TF premium

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that note, found a boutique selling TF suits in all sizes for $1400USD...

So no premium necessary!

compuccesory

Reaction score
I am a fan of Tom Ford, I think a lot of his stuff looks awesome, that's why it's expensive. I mean there's lots of **** out there e.g. Balenciaga and other fashion brands that are expensive, cheaply made *and* ugly so the bar is pretty low.
None of his suiting even fits me, so I'll never buy any of it, whew!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More pics direct from the store in Italy:

F0B4FA34-A123-446B-8339-14BEBCB398B8.jpeg
8E23A343-B2BF-4D9C-9FD8-A483438833E8.jpeg
D0B3776D-7D59-45BE-96BE-40A3F45390E9.jpeg
93E81AC8-1A2E-45D5-89EF-9315E6174D53.jpeg

Look at the curves on the captoe on the far right, and the double monk.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is that a TF boutique or some other store?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boutique. Cheaper if you order from Italy (about 700USD, or 1000CAD cheaper).

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1412438

But why don’t they produce something like this? Serious question. Is it expertise?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads