• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on this Suit

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 on the Suit Supply. There's a store in Manhattan.

$450 for a half canvas, Vitale Barberis suit sure sounds better than $650 for a J. Crew (fused?) number.

Last edited:

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
or if youre willing to pay 650, step it up to 700 and go to martin greenfield and get a custom suit!

Essential

Reaction score
^ I don't have time for a custom.

I would get SuitSupply but they sell 38S at the very least. I'm a 36S. Would I be able to tuck in the chest or whatever it's called?

I like Jcrew because it has 36S and for the pants, you pick your inseam.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew has separates so you can get whatever pant size fits best.

Essential

Reaction score
Okay so now I'm leaning towards:

http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P1104-JD/Suit?filter_27=736&filter_2=2&filter_19=573
http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P2525/Suit?filter_27=736&filter_2=2&filter_19=573

I like in NY so it's easy access to the store.

I'm about 5' 5" and my chest seems to measure at 36 inches (w/ a ruler). Leaning towards the second one because it seems darker.

Would it be better to try the 35R or 36S? I'm getting it tailored so is it easier to pull in the chest or make it shorter?

Last edited:

Essential

Reaction score
Bump. (sorry prom is next month and getting everything tailored and setup makes this time-sensitive!)

sns23

Reaction score
Napoli cut probably won't be slim enough for you.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm about 5' 5" and my chest seems to measure at 36 inches (w/ a ruler). Leaning towards the second one because it seems darker.

Would it be better to try the 35R or 36S? I'm getting it tailored so is it easier to pull in the chest or make it shorter?

First, don't measure using a ruler. Buy a proper measuring tape from the shoe repair section at CVS or Duane Reade or Walgreen's. Usually about 2 bucks. Make sure you're standing normally.

The p2p measurement should be 2 to 2.5 inches greater than your actual chest. So a 36 inch chest would require a 38 or 38.5 inch jacket. According to the Suit Supply measurements, the closest is the 35R in the Napoli.

Again, I suspect your measurements may be off. Remeasure with a tape and go by the logic above.

Napoli cut probably won't be slim enough for you.

No.

Last edited:

Essential

Reaction score
Well by ruler, I actually meant measuring tape so it's about right.

So 35R over 38S? I'm only 5' 5".

And should I get the first or second one? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sns23

Reaction score

First, don't measure using a ruler. Buy a proper measuring tape from the shoe repair section at CVS or Duane Reade or Walgreen's. Usually about 2 bucks. Make sure you're standing normally.
The p2p measurement should be 2 to 2.5 inches greater than your actual chest. So a 36 inch chest would require a 38 or 38.5 inch jacket. According to the Suit Supply measurements, the closest is the 35R in the Napoli.
Again, I suspect your measurements may be off. Remeasure with a tape and go by the logic above.
No.

Yes. This guy sounds pretty small and slim. The Napoli cut is by no means a slim fit. It may be slimmer than Jos. A Bank, but it is one of the, if not the most, generous cuts by Suit Supply.

Last edited:

Essential

Reaction score
Yes. This guy sounds pretty small and slim. The Napoli cut is by no means a slim fit. It may be slimmer than Jos. A Bank, but it is one of the, if not the most, generous cuts by Suit Supply.

I would consider the Washington: http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P3260/Suit?filter_27=736&filter_2=9&filter_19=573 but it's color isn't good for a first suit. If I get the Napoli tailored well, would it look okay?

In my defense, I'm pretty big for my size.I run and workout a lot so I'm about 125 pounds with a decent amount of muscle (proud to bench 185 :) ) I'm planning to pack on some more weight but I don't think it'll be enough to get to 38 anytime soon.

Last edited:

sns23

Reaction score
Why not? It is a relatively dark grey.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why not? It is a relatively dark grey.

It's mid gray.. And has peak lapels.

Most standard/vanilla suit is charcoal or navy with notch lapels.

Doughnuts

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads