• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on this Suit

Essential

Reaction score
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/allludlowsuits/PRDOVR~28130/28130.jsp
(in heather charcoal)

I'm planning to get this suit. I'm going to go to the new Ludlow suit store on 50 Hudson in NY and get fitted for it. They have an on-site tailor but if they don't do a good job, I'll just go somewhere else afterwards.

I'm planning to use this for prom and a few casual wears in college so I'm not too worried about the SF quality test.

EDITTTTTTTT:

Okay so now I'm leaning towards:

http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P1104-JD/Suit?filter_27=736&filter_2=2&filter_19=573
http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P2525/Suit?filter_27=736&filter_2=2&filter_19=573

I live in NY so it's easy access to the store.

I'm about 5' 5" and my chest seems to measure at 36 inches (w/ a ruler). Leaning towards the second one because it seems darker.

Would it be better to try the 35R or 36S? I'm getting it tailored so is it easier to pull in the chest or make it shorter?

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/allludlowsuits/PRDOVR~28130/28130.jsp
(in heather charcoal)

I'm planning to get this suit. I'm going to go to the new Ludlow suit store on 50 Hudson in NY and get fitted for it. They have an on-site tailor but if they don't do a good job, I'll just go somewhere else afterwards.

I'm planning to use this for prom and a few casual wears in college so I'm not too worried about the SF quality test.

Opinions?

My guess is that you can do better in New York with all the outlet stores, etc.
Let the locals chime in! Otherwise, it looks like a credible, if exaggerated,
version of the Neapolitan cut.

Last edited:

dorolf07

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good luck with the on-site tailor man. There are a lot of local tailors in NY depending on where you are Midtown or Upper West.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is SF. For $650, you could get something much nicer on the B&S

Essential

Reaction score
^ I'd like to add that I'm pretty short so most other stores don't have my size.

As for b&s, my parents don't want me to get used things.

@dorolf, any recommendations? The suit fits slim so the onside tailor will do minimal alterations. I was planning on going to another tailor in the beginning though and still might.

Last edited:

Doughnuts

Reaction score
Good luck with the on-site tailor man. There are a lot of local tailors in NY depending on where you are Midtown or Upper West.

Which tailors do you recommend in Midtown or the Upper West?

Essential

Reaction score
My parents are a weird bunch and would probably think its used anyways. I rather get something new anyways.

I'm just asking if the suit will do the job, I'm sure the quality is good enough to get a few solid wears.

hyt123

Reaction score
(in heather charcoal)

Opinions?

It's probably the one of the best new ****** suits that you can buy for around that price. If you want a new less-****** suit for about the same price then go to Suit Supply since you're in New York anyway. If you want a not-******-at-all suit for that price then buy from B&S here. Just depends on what you want for your money, you can go from **** to not bad for the same price depending on how smartly you shop.

EDIT: IF ON SALE. Otherwise you'd have to be crazy, marsupialed or desperate to pay full retail for a J. Crew Ludlow suit.

Last edited:

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got two ludlows and I'm really happy with how they have held up, but SuitSupply does look interesting. I just wish they had one in Texas :(

Wayward

Reaction score
My only comment would be that the lapels are quite slim. They're still the current trend, but dare I say that they're on the way out?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to sound like a broken record but: For $650 Ludlow is not worth it.

Check Rugby Ralph Lauren, there should be a sale starting on the 3rd of May that stacks with 15% off coupon code/student discount code.

They have great suits for their sale price imo.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My only comment would be that the lapels are quite slim. They're still the current trend, but dare I say that they're on the way out?

I've been hearing that for the last year or so. I think if you are relatively tall and thin then you will look good in it.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
This suit will do the job, but Im pretty short too and skinny, and jcrew doesnt fit as nicely. Better off using uniqlo or even suitsupply.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads