• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

opinions on this outfit

tomvidelo

Reaction score
I'm new guys, so go easy on me for a bit, but I was just wondering what everyone thought of this for summer wear on a 15 year old? I'm thinking of buying these shorts along with the belt http://www.asos.com/Asos-Collection/...t=-1&clr=Stone to go with these brogues http://www.seasonsclothing.co.uk/ite...nley-Shoes/JRU
I'd wear them with a white grandad tee, which would continues the summery look very well.
I know there are mixed opinions on going sockless, but I'd just like to point out that I would definitely wear them with loafer socks, so it'd be cool if you could try not to debate the hygiene point
tounge.gif
thanks in advance for your opinions

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
go for it

Merlino

Reaction score
Since you're asking for our opinions I'll give you mine:

Re combining the shorts and the brogues I don't think it's a good look in general and especially on a 15 year old. If you're wearing shorts either wear (suede) loafers w/o socks or flipflops. Given your age I'd advise flipflops.

Note I'm against shorts in general but that's another story.

tomvidelo

Reaction score
Merlino, what's your opinion on 15 year olds dressing properly ie. mainly unbranded clothes that are worn purely because of how they look, not because of what's written on them? I live in Guernsey, so unless it's the height of summer it's not sunny much, although I do go on holiday to sunny Tenerife every school holiday, and these days Guernsey is full of generic brand whore teenagers who make fun of anybody who tries to dress decently. I'm not a fan of flip flops, so I was just wondering what you opinion is on teenagers dressing nicely in general?

Merlino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomvidelo
Merlino, what's your opinion on 15 year olds dressing properly ie. mainly unbranded clothes that are worn purely because of how they look, not because of what's written on them?
I'm all for it. In fact, with the exception of jeans which are basically impossible to find without some brand attached, I haven't worn anything with logos since I was your age myself. Having said that, I don't think anyone should wear shorts and brogues simply because I think it's an ugly combination. I would wear the shorts you linked to with flipflops or with loafers such as these: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/products/2228.php Of course, YMMV and I applaud the fact that you're thinking about dressing properly at your age.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Merlino, what's your opinion on 15 year olds dressing properly ie. mainly unbranded clothes that are worn purely because of how they look, not because of what's written on them? I live in Guernsey, so unless it's the height of summer it's not sunny much, although I do go on holiday to sunny Tenerife every school holiday, and these days Guernsey is full of generic brand whore teenagers who make fun of anybody who tries to dress decently. I'm not a fan of flip flops, so I was just wondering what you opinion is on teenagers dressing nicely in general?

sorry im not merlina but think its great when a teenager tries to look presentable and respectable. if people make fun thats ok, when you ending up banking coin and thery are still hanging on the street corner im pretty sure youll have the last laugh
bigstar[1].gif
best of luck looking good

ps +1 on the notion that the shorts will be better with more casual footwear

tomvidelo

Reaction score
to both Merlino and in stitches, do you think brogues such as these would be considered more casual? Personally, i think the light suede makes them more casual. or are you just against any more formal shoes with shorts in general? http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/STUDIO.../sr_shoesmen80 I'm only pushing for the brogues because I do love the look when you see it on the Sartorialist etc. and i'm totally confident I could pull it off as easily as those guys do.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to both Merlino and in stitches, do you think brogues such as these would be considered more casual? Personally, i think the light suede makes them more casual. or are you just against any more formal shoes with shorts in general? http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/STUDIO.../sr_shoesmen80

I'm only pushing for the brogues because I do love the look when you see it on the Sartorialist etc. and i'm totally confident I could pull it off as easily as those guys do.

certainly better, if you feel confident you can pull it off go for it im not sure i would though. but the shoes are nice i think

Merlino

Reaction score
Agree with in stitches, these are much better and if you think you can pull it off by all means give it a try. I know I wouldn't be able to.

tomvidelo

Reaction score
thanks for your help. i'll probably just order both pairs to see what they look like put together with everything else, then send one pair back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads