• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on this Kiton tuxedo shirt

pfr0g

Reaction score
I am in the market for a tuxedo shirt. I want hidden buttons and a lay-down collar. I am also looking for a subtle pattern that's not just on the bib. This looks to fit the bill nicely but something is off with the collar. I wonder if its just the picture or the collar is really really soft. It is also very expensive even at discount price. I wonder if Kiton uses even better fabrics/more work in their Tuxedo shirts as the retail appears to be 800+

kitontuxshirthb9.jpg

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
It's a nice shirt for sure. Tuxedo shirts tend to require more workmanship -- for example, the covered placket requires more fabric and slightly more stitches. That might account for the price difference, though I would assume the fabric will be a 180s quality.

Kiton's collars are pretty soft, but if it fits correct, it should look fine when worn. I doubt Kiton would make a tuxedo shirt that will end up looking sloppy.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfr0g
I am in the market for a tuxedo shirt. I want hidden buttons and a lay-down collar. I am also looking for a subtle pattern that's not just on the bib.

If you don't want a bib front, then it's really a plain shirt with a covered placket. I believe all formal shirts must have a bib front, including that Kiton.

BTW, if you are 15.5 and want an amazing deal on a NWT Borrelli formal shirt with spread collar, PM me.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
If you don't want a bib front, then it's really a plain shirt with a covered placket. I believe all formal shirts must have a bib front, including that Kiton.

BTW, if you are 15.5 and want an amazing deal on a NWT Borrelli formal shirt with spread collar, PM me.

Damn my fat neck but I am a true 16 in Borrelli. My neck is 16 1/3 and I could not pull off a 15.5 unless it ran particularly large.

I want a covered placket because of the stud set. I want the MOP curved rectangle cuff links and the stud set at $600 is too much for me now. I looked at these links in Bergdorf and they are really clean looking. Any suggestions on a similar clean look at a discounted price are welcome!!

http://janleslie.net/StudSets.htm

As always thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

Not meaning to hijack the thread, and without having introduced myself at all... Do you have a picture of this shirt?

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfr0g
Damn my fat neck but I am a true 16 in Borrelli. My neck is 16 1/3 and I could not pull off a 15.5 unless it ran particularly large.

I want a covered placket because of the stud set. I want the MOP curved rectangle cuff links and the stud set at $600 is too much for me now. I looked at these links in Bergdorf and they are really clean looking. Any suggestions on a similar clean look at a discounted price are welcome!!

http://janleslie.net/StudSets.htm

As always thank you everyone for your suggestions.

A question: are you contemplating paying retail for the Kiton? If so, instead of paying $800 just because you can't afford the $600 studs, I would suggest getting the studs and then spending $200 on a shirt. CEGO will give you a great tux shirt that fits perfectly for $200, leaving you a lot of other money to spend. If money is an issue, I would recommend not splurging too much on a shirt that will be covered all night by a jacket and vest or cummerbund.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
That looks to be a huge collar so make sure that is a good look for you.

Which collar are you referring to? They both look large. Is the Borrelli absurdly large?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc
Which collar are you referring to? They both look large. Is the Borrelli absurdly large?

I was talking about the Kiton but both are big. I wouldn't say they are absurd but I am saying that a big collar doesn't look good on everybody. I would think a wide face matches a wide collar and a longish neck but maybe somebody can chime in.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I seem to recall that World's Finest has some nice Borrelli tux shirts for a good price...I have a Kiton MTM in royal oxford that was made for my wedding that has served me well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads