Opinions on This Isaia Overcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spertia, Sep 6, 2007.

1. spertia

spertia Senior member

I'm looking for a heavy overcoat to wear over suits in winter. What do you think of this one? Too bold/different (or light-colored) for business use? Also, are notch lapels okay on a double-breasted overcoat, or should it ideally have peak lapels as on a suit jacket?

[​IMG]

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I love it.

I am not sure how an overcoat could be unsuitable for business. It is not like people conduct business strolling the streets. Perhaps mafia dons do, but that is only to avoid FBI detection and they don't give a shit what your overcoat looks like.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think it's pretty cool, but I would want something more basic before this.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Absolutely positively love it [​IMG]

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think it's cool and business appropriate. But be advised that, living in Los Angeles, I don't know from overcoats.

6. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I love it.

I am not sure how an overcoat could be unsuitable for business. It is not like people conduct business strolling the streets. Perhaps mafia dons do, but that is only to avoid FBI detection and they don't give a shit what your overcoat looks like.

Mafia Dons love overcoats.

[​IMG]

Here's an example. Note that Gotti is wearing a DB Peak Lapel overcoat.

BTW: To the OP, I like your Isaia overcoat better than the Mafioso coats.

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

If you own plenty of overcoats, this one might be fun to own and to accessorize. If you're planning on one, major investment, I'd consider something less conspicuous.

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

While I do think it's a great coat, I agree with chorse about getting a more basic overcoat if it's your first one.

It's not that you conduct business outside but when you live in a cold climate and wear an overcoat 5-6 months out of the year, you do spend a lot of time wearing it during business hours when entering/leaving offices and restaurants, going out to lunch/dinner... and it tends to be seen a lot in a business context so unless you want to be the guy with the funky coat surrounded by navy, I would go for something solid and darker.

9. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

I would grab if it were my size.

On a side note, noticed Nitro really raised his Isaia prices a lot. Looks like the days of 350 Isaia tux is long gone.

10. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I think it's pretty cool, but I would want something more basic before this.

I think that's sound advice.

11. gdl203

There's nothing conspicuous or un-business-like about this coat. Don't understand these comments at all... I've been wearing coats like this to client meetings for years. It's not like it's baby blue or has an astrakhan collar... [​IMG]

12. EL72

EL72 Senior member

There's nothing conspicuous or un-business-like about this coat. Don't understand these comments at all... I've been wearing coats like this to client meetings for years. It's not like it's baby blue or has an astrakhan collar... [​IMG]

Then you're probably known in your industry as "that guy with the funky coats..." [​IMG]

13. gdl203

Then you're probably known in your industry as "that guy with the funky coats..." [​IMG]

Shoes yes, coats no.

Seriously... there's nothing funky about this coat. It's elegant and not excessively boring or ubiquitous (or is that the definition of "funky"?)

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

+1

Other than maybe it being an SB, don't know how much more basic you can go. It's a grey herringbone coat. The only way to be less conspicuos would be for it to be a navy herringbone coat.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think the RJMan has an overcoat with an astrakhan collar.

I would like a mink-lined overcoat though. My grandfather had some that would appear to fit but who knows where they are now.