• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on these Rimless Glasses

tedbearz

Reaction score
More traditional

ACA0H000.jpg

More sporty

43fcb5d4bda68.png_0_0_0.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I find the shape of the former sleeker and more modern than the second, but I like the metal on the latter.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get those Silhouettes in many different lens shapes, including more modern ones. These are my current glasses.
74749ps.png

tedbearz

Reaction score
I was looking into ones you have 7474 but the available frame sizes were too big. I need something 46/47.

Does anyone know if rimless frames are all the same size?

Basically looking for a rimless frame that I can wear in the office as well as outside.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I personally prefer the shape of the "sporty" lenses, but not the thicker metal. Basically the opposite of skalgore
smile.gif

rogerm

Reaction score
I think the first one (the Silhoette) is a great example of a classic rimless pair of glasses, and the second one is a little sportier looking.

I've been eyewear shopping this past week and I came across a pair of rimless Tag Heuer glasses that I think are worth mentioning. They are similar to the second pair you have pictured. What's different with the Tag rimless is that the y are flexible (so they don't break) and the material gets "sticky" if you sweat so they don't dall off your face. Really worth a look!

Hanseat

Reaction score
Several points on Silhouette: I got mine 4 months ago and totally love them. I sometimes forget that I wear them, never have the feeling that I might lose them (and I do a lot of sport- just came back from a good tennis match where naturally you run a lot and other glasses would 'jump' a bit around). I could get them in different sizes (they have tons of 'bridges' [the thing with the pads where it lies on your nose]) so that should not be a problem. Also the new colors are pretty cool. Make sure though that you get them properly fitted- my otometrist took about 30 minutes until they were a perfect fit. Regarding the chipping: I got Rodenstock Perfalit 1.6 glasses, which are thinner, a lot less prone to breaking and have the cool lotus coating so you almost don't have to clean them (or just wipe over them once and they're clean). Thumbs up for that, these were specially designed for rimless glasses.
img0179edited0xk.jpg
-------- Arethusa, you are not german by any chance, are you? These glasses aspecially with the shape of the glasses is very typical for glasses germans wear. That's how I always make them out- in fact I know that those are refferd to as 'glasses for germans' as in many other countries they go in and out of style but here they just stick around. I did that little experiment and was right in about 4/5 cases when abroad.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love my Silhouette glasses. I have the model with the plastic nose bridge and temple pieces (Minimal X, I believe) and they are comfortable and light as a feather. I don't even notice them when I wear them.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hanseat

--------

Arethusa, you are not german by any chance, are you? These glasses aspecially with the shape of the glasses is very typical for glasses germans wear. That's how I always make them out- in fact I know that those are refferd to as 'glasses for germans' as in many other countries they go in and out of style but here they just stick around. I did that little experiment and was right in about 4/5 cases when abroad.

Germans also seem to have a penchant for tinted lenses in somewhat uncommon colors.

Hanseat

Reaction score
Yeah, but you really don't see that as much anymore as you used to.

At least we're all having glasses that have a decent antireflection coating, which for some reason many americans don't have. This might account for some of the weird color from certain angles (a bit of green or purple).

tedbearz

Reaction score
Hanseat do you know the model# of your frames? Thanks

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mik24xo.jpg

What about something like this?

EDIT: Disclaimer for shameless plug. I bought these for a forum member at discount, but he decided they dont work with his current financial welfare.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hanseat
Arethusa, you are not german by any chance, are you? These glasses aspecially with the shape of the glasses is very typical for glasses germans wear. That's how I always make them out- in fact I know that those are refferd to as 'glasses for germans' as in many other countries they go in and out of style but here they just stick around. I did that little experiment and was right in about 4/5 cases when abroad.
Heh. I am not. Half Vietnamese, born in California, I'm afraid. Wasn't aware they were seen as so distinctly German, though I suppose that makes sense, in a way. I think Silhouettes may be a bit more in style in the US, currently, but I don't really follow trends. Personally, I've been a little unhappy, actually, with my pair. The tension in the arms isn't balanced, which pushes them to one side. I really need to see what I can do with the warranty.

kdsvs

Reaction score
I like the Starck ones more than the first two.
The second pair from the original post is too sporty, with arms that are more suitable for sunglasses.
I don't like rimless frames with ultra-thin arms - I find they make a person look too old and/or feminine. Rimless frames and thin arms can't hide the fact that one is wearing glasses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics