• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on these dress shoes

Kramer17

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post. Looking for some feedback on a pair of shoes, I'll be working in capital markets at a bank this summer and I'm wondering what you guys think of these shoes to be worn with a suit.

too clunky?

Thanks!

lmaligaya

Reaction score
Are you interning this summer? I would say they are fine. Not too blocky or fashion forward and still look to be in decent shape. You may get some people telling you to buy Park Avenues NOW but I don't see it as a necessity for an internship. When they wear out or later in the summer you may want to upgrade to something you like from AE/Peale/CJ. Remember shoes will also last much longer if you rotate, use shoes trees, and keep the leather supple. If you will be in NYC it would be easy for you to try them all out.

Kramer17

Reaction score
Are you interning this summer? I would say they are fine. Not too blocky or fashion forward and still look to be in decent shape. You may get some people telling you to buy Park Avenues NOW but I don't see it as a necessity for an internship. When they wear out or later in the summer you may want to upgrade to something you like from AE/Peale/CJ. Remember shoes will also last much longer if you rotate, use shoes trees, and keep the leather supple. If you will be in NYC it would be easy for you to try them all out.

they're brand new.

and yes I am interning but in Toronto. Thanks for the advice! I was looking at park ave's but I ended up getting these as a gift (non-refundable).

will most interns be wearing park ave's and the like?

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, they won't so don't worry about it too much. Make sure they are shined and you're good to go. Good luck at the internship :)

Kramer17

Reaction score
No, they won't so don't worry about it too much. Make sure they are shined and you're good to go. Good luck at the internship
smile.gif

Thanks!

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice buy, best of luck this summer.

lmaligaya

Reaction score

they're brand new.

and yes I am interning but in Toronto.  Thanks for the advice! I was looking at park ave's but I ended up getting these as a gift (non-refundable).

No, most interns will be wearing a black suit, ill fitting shirt, and cheapo ugly shoes that are "comfortable." Once you start a real job in finance you will have the means to buy whatever shoes you wish. I have seen that the younger guys will buy Prada, Gucci, or Ferragamo before learning about quality shoes.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the future I would upgrade, but for your internship, they will serve their purpose. I doubt anyone will even notice.

dandy1

Reaction score
Once you start a real job in finance you will have the means to buy whatever shoes you wish.
how i wish this were true Imaligaya .. glory days are well and truly over in markets ..
tinfoil.gif

my advice to our intern friend would be do the internship .. then switch professions to something you can really make money in
baldy[1].gif

mandjo

Reaction score
Nice shoes. Just keep it polished everyday and you're good.

rmz1

Reaction score

I am interviewing in finance right now and am in the market for a new pair of dress shoes anyway. Should I get something like the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue? Is that the standard way to go for someone in my position? (graduating law school). My current dress shoes are in the $250 range (Cole Haan, Ecco, etc) and I don't mind investing in a better pair at this point.

I'm ok with spending a little more if people here think it's worth it (which I'm guessing they will) but if so, what should I go with? Brooks Brothers has black cap toes in the 4 and 5 hundred range, would that be a big step up in quality?

I see a lot of people mentioning C&J on this forum, but had never heard of them before, do I need to be enlightened? And what can I expect to pay for them? I am in NY so I'm guessing availability will not be a problem...

Thanks!

lmaligaya

Reaction score
Hi,

AE is an excellent baseline. Moving up in $$$ will yield less and less marginal utility in economics speak. If you like the look or fit of a shoe that is 100-200 more that AE PA, sure go for it if you can afford it. Buy the shoes for yourself if it makes you feel good. Since it sounds like you need a staple shoe going with AE/CJ/Alden/Peale are all safe bets for work shoes.

You may want to read this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/295836/why-buy-very-high-quality-black-dress-shoes/0_100

Good luck, make sure you break them in before interviewing.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you scroll around the classifieds section and ebay, you can find good to mint condition Allen Edmonds ranging from 150-250$..sometimes with string shoes and all. Good value
smile.gif

And if they don't fit you, they're pretty easy to re-sell

Ivon

Reaction score
As long as you keep them shined, nobody will really notice on an intern, but at least make a decent attempt to dress the part. Internships are free trials, if you don't screw up the work, behave and look the part, you generally will get the job down the road.

It's like high school, see what the cool kids wear, too much forward fashion and they might see you as an effete moron, better for the marketing department or (gasp) human resources, where the shallow stupid people go. If accountants are about square pegs going into square holes and round pegs in round holes, finance is about finding a way to make the damn square peg fit in the round hole. The appearance of credibility is everything in finance, I once had my numbers questioned on a dog and pony just because I had burgundy shoes on.

If you take a look around a financial services firm, you will see a lot of the new guys committing fashion crimes in their shrunken suit hipster look. You will see the upper tier in pricey "dress for success" power outfits of impeccable fit, taste and matching price tag to signal they have arrived. The ironic thing is many at the top of the totem pole wear ventless, glen plaid DB suits from the eighties, with tacky loafers like kilties, ala golf shoes. They sign the cheques, laugh at them at your own peril.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads