• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on these boots please

jstockton858

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhamm
BEAUX%20BEIGE.jpg

How about these? They're not boots but I like the style. Do you think they'd look ok with jeans

i certainly do... but i also fear what they cost

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are steve madden, like $89.99. Look pretty good tho, IMO.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jstockton858
doesn't steve madden have a not so good reputation on quality however
I'd say so.

dhamm

Reaction score
Im sure the quality is good enough for me, Im not too picky and they wont be worn too much. Anyone know how Steve Maddens run for sizing?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doesn't steve madden have a not so good reputation on quality however

<confirms>

In my pre AAAC/SF-days, I purchased some corrected grain Steve Madden square-toed loafers......... wow. I was keeping them as rainy shoes but I think I'm just going to throw them out.

dhamm

Reaction score
What aspects of there construction lead to the poor quality? Do they fall apart immediately?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
see I am in the same situation as you being a low funds college student trying to find boots, or dress shoes, that look good with slim jeans. i bought these (off ebay for much cheaper) http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7200020.html but afterwards realized i need a black boot. my search is still on.

Those bally's are pretty nice. I posted a pair of Jil Sanders that I think would be pretty sweet for a black boot earlier... let me find the pic, it's on bluefly, I think they're like $200 or so if you use a coupon.

Here:
boots3on8.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhamm
What aspects of there construction lead to the poor quality? Do they fall apart immediately?

Fall apart, uncomfortable, look like **** after not too many wears. Steve Madden shoes are best for using as a doorstop or something of that sort.

gza

Reaction score
I actually think the boots linked to by the OP look fairly decent. In fact I like them better than the Pradas, although the Jill Sanders look best to me out of the four (they look even a bit R.M. Williams-ish). I think for the style that the OP seems to be going for, though, Varvatos would be a good option. Virtually all his boots have some sort of distressed finish, although I don't seem to recall brogueing on any of them. The price point is similar to Bally but they're easier to find at a discount.

The Steve Maddens in the picture look much better than what I've seen from that brand before. I would have to see a squarely overhead view, however, to prove without a doubt that they don't have some godawful square toe! I think they would not deteriorate so quickly in appearance because of the distressed finish. I think all of Steve Madden's "dressier" shoes have that plasticky shiny coating that turns into the ugliest scuffing and creasing with a few wears, but these wingtips wouldn't suffer the same fate I think.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Varvatos boots are really nice in my opinion, generally really soft distressed lambskin that look quite good with jeans.

These other Pradas are nice too although they don't have any broguing.
boots2gy0.jpg

dhamm

Reaction score
I have seen some Varvatos' that i liked but they are all way out of my price range. Unfortunately i cannot find any more pics of the steve maddens.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Varvatos boots are usually about $129-199 at Nordstrom Rack. I was there today and didn't see any boots but there were some interesting lambskin loafers. The thing about Varvatos lambskin is it looks like because of the way the design it, it creases less than some brands, I'm not sure why, but there's been a pair at NR that has probably been tried on a thousand times and sitting on the shelf for months that doesn't have nearly any creases.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Fall apart, uncomfortable, look like **** after not too many wears. Steve Madden shoes are best for using as a doorstop or something of that sort.

I agree with all this except the doorstop part. They are best left in the store.

Varvatos at Nordstrom Rack is a good suggestion. You can also find nice boots on Yoox from time to time, though the price is not always low.

dhamm

Reaction score
Ive never seen anything from Varvtos at the Rack here in Minnesota.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads