Opinions on the RL shoes @ Bluefly

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tedbearz, Nov 24, 2004.

1. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior member

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Not quite as good as the Carlsons or Brawley that often sell for about $50 more on Bluefly, but close and they are a good deal at the price listed. I'm a big fan of the value of the Italian Polos. I have a pair of the Brawley captoe and wear them often.

3. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

They aren't the most elegant of shoe but I do own a pair and find them unoffensive. They are your basic dress shoe. Although a thinner sole would be nicer IMO. The leather is a bit on the hard side and they do require a few wearings to break them in. They do hold a shine quite well, I must say. But when I got them, the leather had almost a greyish tint on them. Liberal coats of black shoe cream fixed that and then a spit shine with black polish completed the task. All in all, a good shoe to add to your rotation. Just don't expect elegance on the level of Edward Green though. [​IMG]

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I bought them too, they are exceedingly basic, but that's not a bad thing. If you're looking for a basic black dress shoe these are far nicer than you'll see at that price point in retail. The leather is richer - if that means anything - than most dept store brands, and the styling is just slightly sleeker, though the pics don't really show it. Next to a Ken Cole square toe rubber sole, these look friggin elegant.

I agree with Hitman that they take a little breaking in and a good deal of polish to look their best.

5. ROT

ROT Senior member

There's an extra 20% off on Men's shoes if you shop this Friday. Don't think there's a code or anything.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I purchased mine just recently when it was 20% off in Bluefly (plus another 15% using a code).  Nice, basic, everyday dress shoes for the price.  You can't go wrong with it.

Johnny, would you know the specific differences between this grey southern and the carlson?

7. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior member

Don't see it. Is the sale over?

8. johnnynorman3

The Brawley/Carlson has slightly better leather for the uppers. The Brawley/Carlson also has a combination rubber/leather heal. The Grey Southern has a rubber heal (like Allen Edmonds). Both have leather soles, however.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Ted, there's an upcoming 20% sale again this Friday (as ROT mentioned).

Johnny, I see but are they also "sharing" the same last?

10. johnnynorman3

I don't think they share the same last, to be honest. They are very, very close though. I think the Grey Southern don't narrow to the waist (instep) of the shoe quite as quickly as the Brawley/Carlson.

That said, it's tough to tell by sight alone. FWIW, I think that the current price on Bluefly is good, but that personally I'd spend $50 more to get the Brawley captoes. But if you've already bought the Grey Southern, you are going to be getting a very good shoe to be sure.