• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on the AE Holt?

Monster

Reaction score
My latest whimsical purchase of things I probably cannot yet afford was a pair of these shoes.
Holt_large.jpg

I like my pair of park avenues, but seeing how I am working in a business casual environment, I wanted something a bit less conservative.

I would love to step up to a pair of EGs, but I just can't afford them yet.
frown.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monster
My latest whimsical purchase of things I probably cannot yet afford was a pair of these shoes.
Holt_large.jpg

I like my pair of park avenues, but seeing how I am working in a business casual environment, I wanted something a bit less conservative.

I would love to step up to a pair of EGs, but I just can't afford them yet.
frown.gif

Those are AE???
Wow. Not bad at all and a lot less stodgy than other shoes of theirs.

Monster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Those are AE???
Wow. Not bad at all and a lot less stodgy than other shoes of theirs.

The same thing I thought as well.

I had never seen them in any of the local retailers (the big department stores), but while on vacation in San Francisco I saw them in the AE store in Union Square.

Thought they were a beautiful shoe, and my girlfriend agreed. Just wanted to make sure we weren't completely off base.

Duveen

Reaction score
Since you've already bought it, I'll tread lightly.

I don't like the buckle (too large) or the placement of the medallion, which seems to float on the toe without much relationship to anything. If a medallion were called for (I am not sure that it is), I'd put it much closer to the tip of the toe.

Monster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
Since you've already bought it, I'll tread lightly.

I don't like the buckle (too large) and am not sure that it needs the medallion, which seems to float on the toe without much relationship to anything. If a medallion were called for (I am not sure that it is), I'd put it much closer to the tip of the toe.

Be as harsh as necessary, its not going to hurt my feelings.

I respect this forum because of the honest opinions, and it can help shape my next purchase
tounge.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Duveen said, the buckle is too large. But worse, I think, the sole colour is all wrong.

Duveen

Reaction score
The last is, as someone memorably said about another pair of AEs, 'blobby'. The overall look just isn't very elegant - it is neither dressy nor truly a country English style (per AE website). I'd push into either more fashion-forward territory (interesting Mantellassi monks on STP for a VERY country effect: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/386,77972_.html or a beautiful pair for the city: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...s-For-Men.html) or go classic with a pair of C&J Malvern's from PLal (http://sheppardsdirect.com/id239.htm)

While I'll grant you that my selections are far from perfect, and a bit more than you spent, I would say that if you paid full retail, you can still look at other makers (Tramezzas on Ebay, Saviles via PLal, Lodings, Loakes) for interesting shoes. For the Loakes, you might look at the Canterbury http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...sp?si_id=93292. And you apparently can get a classic Alden shell cordo monk on Ebay for $300 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-shell-cord...QQcmdZViewItem. Or a pair of fashion-forward Ferragamos (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Monk-Strap-B...QQcmdZViewItem)

But, as JLibourel will tell you, I have a fairly pronounced dislike of most AEs. Just don't like the looks. Now if you love them, and they fit you well, far be it from me to discourage your pro-AE proclivities.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
As Duveen said, the buckle is too large. But worse, I think, the sole colour is all wrong.
Agreed, it is a little weird. Some brown edge dressing would help that.

Also, some antiquing with darker wax would add a bit of interest to the finish.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Holt is a great-looking shoe. It would have been the first monkstrap I was really tempted to buy were it not for the fact the #2 last is a lousy fit on my feet, alas.

I like the looks of some Allen-Edmonds shoes, not others. But then, I'm a big guy and like a sturdy-looking shoe like A-E or Aldens. I was just looking at some Mantelassis yesterday--not my taste at all. Most Italian shoes, except for some Ferragamos, Santonis and probably a few other exceptions, just seem insubstantial to me.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love the holt monkstrap.
unfortunately, it rarely goes on sale, so i'm still waiting to buy it.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Granted, it is not a Mantelassi or C&J but for an AE it is impressive. I am sure that it will be easier to find at a discount also which makes big difference
smile.gif

Duveen

Reaction score
Monster,

Would you mind posting a picture of the shoe you bought? Maybe it looks better without the 'professional' touch of the AE photographer.

I am guessing that JLibourel has seen it in person, and know that you did (and chose to buy). Maybe there is more to it than meets the eye.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I, too, think the buckle is appropriate for this shoe, probably because the last is chunkier than an EG, for instance. Also, natural edges for mid and light brown shoes are popular right now...of course, it would be simple to use brown or black to change it. As for the medallion, yes, I'd move it forward, but it doesn't bother me where it is. Overall, I like it and would wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads