• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Synthetic Diamonds for an engagement ring

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is assuming of course that your significant is fine with the idea of synthetic diamonds.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A woman is very unlikely to be OK with a synthetic diamond, even if she says she is. Giving her one would leave her feeling under-appreciated regardless, and you will feel guilty in the long run, if you do.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
A woman is very unlikely to be OK with a synthetic diamond, even if she says she is. Giving her one would leave her feeling under-appreciated regardless, and you will feel guilty in the long run, if you do.

Thanks but I already said "assuming she is ok with it".

I want to discuss whether these things would be a good substitute.

I have read that Apollo Diamonds are making very good colorless diamonds and

Gemisis are a leader in colored diamonds.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Certified blood diamonds are the only ones entering my relationships

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as dumb as it is, a diamond is about thought. It last forever, has been around forever, just like your love. GAG. a synthetic feels phoney. If you cant afford a diamond, I would get a different stone. Or dont get anything at all. Personally a synthetic diamond feels like a fake louis vitton. Why bother.

Just curious - what does a 1ct diamond cost from one of those synthetic places?

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous, how is she supposed to know you love her unless you flush loads of money away on rock that's had it's price inflated by a near monopoly in the market? If you bought the synthetic one and then burnt a load of cash ($100 bills of course), then I suppose that would be an acceptable substitute.

Would you mind if she bought you a fake PP/JLC/Omega etc as an engagement present?

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alright Jokers. If you read up on synthetic diamonds they are real diamonds, just man made.

I don't want to get into the discussion of what she wants or whats its worth or fake or real.

I want to discuss how, where to buy, where to do research, etc.

leave the other mumbo jumbo out of here.

Milpool

Reaction score
A girl I went to bschool with read an article in Wired (I think) about the synthetic diamonds. She promptly sent them her resume so she could screw the diamond monopoly. Pretty cool girl.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The whole point of buying a diamond is to prove you love her by spending a painfully obscene amount of money on her. Not saying I don't think it's ridiculous, but it is what it is.

If a girl is cool with a synthetic diamond, then why not just skip the ridiculous cost of a ring and have fun with the money, for example spending a month traveling the world?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what they say about carbon: it's an element.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ What he means is save your money and give her a brick of charcoal instead

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys aren't very well read.

I synthetic clear flawless diamond is about the same price as a real diamond. Read up and get back to me. Instead of talking about synthetic diamonds you guys are just throwing in your 2 cents about a diamond should mean. Save it for another thread.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djblisk
alright Jokers. If you read up on synthetic diamonds they are real diamonds, just man made.

I don't want to get into the discussion of what she wants or whats its worth or fake or real.

I want to discuss how, where to buy, where to do research, etc.

leave the other mumbo jumbo out of here.

If they were real diamonds .. they'd call them diamonds, not synthetic diamonds.

They are fake plain and simple. For any other piece of jewelry I'd say synthetic is fine, as those pieces are more about how they look and there isn't so much sub-text to them. For an engagement ring .. it doesn't seem right. Do you think your significant other really wants to have the "it's synthetic" though lingering around everytime one of her girlfriends asks her about the ring? Unless her and all her girlfriends have really strong feelings towards the concept of "blood diamonds" this surely will be an issue.

Sort of like the conversation in another thread RE: "Kit Cars". They are okay if all you're going for is the look, but if you want the subtext (ie: actually owning an extremely rare automobile) then the only way to go is real.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a practical limitation here: it's very hard to find a decent sized colorless man-made diamond. Colored (yellow, blue) stones are much easier to make and they can sell them for more money, and so they've been focusing on them. Even those are hard to get ahold of, they can't keep up with supply the last time I looked. They do make a very good product and I'd have no problem buying one, but you're unlikely to be able to find one to buy. They've made some just to show they can do it, but it doesn't appear that they'll really be selling any in the ~1 carat range for years.

I have no idea what a carat man-made colorless diamond would sell for, never seen one available. A carat yellow apparently runs around $2k now, a big drop from the last time I looked. They must have worked out some of the supply issues.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
If they were real diamonds .. they'd call them diamonds, not synthetic diamonds.

They are fake plain and simple. For any other piece of jewelry I'd say synthetic is fine, as those pieces are more about how they look and there isn't so much sub-text to them. For an engagement ring .. it doesn't seem right. Do you think your significant other really wants to have the "it's synthetic" though lingering around everytime one of her girlfriends asks her about the ring? Unless her and all her girlfriends have really strong feelings towards the concept of "blood diamonds" this surely will be an issue. .

The common terminology is "lab-grown," to avoid the synthetic tag. "Synthetic diamond" is usually marketing speak and means cubic zirconia, etc and not actually a diamond. These lab-grown diamonds are 100% the real deal, just created in a lab instead of naturally. They're really nice, about the only way colored diamonds will ever be affordable.

The emotional issue is still there, of course, but you'd have to know your woman to decide if that's an issue. Most will not like it, and it's probably best not to test those waters on an e-ring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics