• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Suit Brands?

mitody123

Reaction score
I am hoping that some suit savvy members will help me select some suits for my newly minted status as a young attorney. I consider myself to be somewhat fashionable but want to look great at the office and in court. I was wondering which suit labels that you recommend for someone who needs the basics (navy, gray, pinstripe, tan cotton, etc). I currently have a suit that I had custom made while on vacation in Greece and a crappy one from Jos A. Bank (i threw up a little in my mouth just typing that - it will be given to goodwill once I get some new ones). I also have quite a few sportcoats (several dunhill and david chu) and a beautiful cashmere burberry blazer. I get all of my clothes tailored and basically need to know what reasonably prices suits I need to buy off the rack to have tailored and then look great.

dunhill?
burberry?
hugo boss?
zegna?
arnold brant?

Thanks in advance!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SF. Well, there are tons of threads addressing your issue. Perhaps one suggestion for a newly minted attorney is to roll up your sleeves and start doing some searches. Might as well, it's what you'll be doing for the next several years (assuming you aren't doing transactional work).

Originally Posted by mitody123
I am hoping that some suit savvy members will help me select some suits for my newly minted status as a young attorney. I consider myself to be somewhat fashionable but want to look great at the office and in court. I was wondering which suit labels that you recommend for someone who needs the basics (navy, gray, pinstripe, tan cotton, etc). I currently have a suit that I had custom made while on vacation in Greece and a crappy one from Jos A. Bank (i threw up a little in my mouth just typing that - it will be given to goodwill once I get some new ones). I also have quite a few sportcoats (several dunhill and david chu) and a beautiful cashmere burberry blazer. I get all of my clothes tailored and basically need to know what reasonably prices suits I need to buy off the rack to have tailored and then look great.

dunhill?
burberry?
hugo boss?
zegna?
arnold brant?

Thanks in advance!

Pim

Reaction score
Oh, I sent you a pm because I thought this thread would be deleted since it's such a FAQ.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunhill (made in italy) are quite nice. They are made by Zegna. Dunhill (made in Japan) are not so good.
Zegna, or Zegna couture are nice, but not Z. Zegna.
Burberry = HF ltd, not as nice as HF main line
Hugo Boss are about the same or even a bit less than Burberry (quality)
No sure about Arnold Brant. I think their retail prices are on par with Hugo Boss (~$800)

bill_bain

Reaction score
Arnold Brant was a mid-priced Canadian-manufactured line with pretty middle of the road styling. Retail was in the $800-900 range. I think a goodly portion of their line was 1/2 canvassed (at least the 1 SB 3 button with side vents I got from STP was). IIRC, they're moving production to Italy, so their styles and construction may change.

No hand sewing, but the canvassing has the potential to make a better suit than Hugo Boss' fused line. of course, the devil's in the details and especially the fit. Fusing's come a long way and a well fitting suit ALWAYS looks better than an ill-fitting one.

If you're wearing a suit every day, don't be so quick to excoriate JAB. Their Signature Gold line is 1/2 canvassed and can often be bought at a sufficient discount as to make them good values in everyday work wear. Their Joseph line is a bit more fashionable and also can be bought on sale quite often. If you're wearing suits every day, it's not unreasonable to easily need 8-10 suits, and very few people start out with those being Oxxford, Kiton or Brioni. of course, if you can afford to start higher up the food chain, feel free. Canali are well regarded and certainly a step up in quality.

Probably the best current OTR value out there at close to retail is Samuelsohn. If you can wait and frequent the local mens shops when they have sales, Samuelsohn can often be bought for $500-600 or less, making them a very good buy.

Harrydog

Reaction score
My favorite of late is Isaia the Napoli line. Love the fit and the attention to detail - a good amount of handwork.

Check out ehaberdasher.com for some really good prices on Isaia and Brioni. First rate service, arrives within a day (I am in CT and they are in New Jersey.)

Sierra Trading Post can't touch Ben's Isaia prices or his selection....even when you factor in the 20% promotion code.

Ben had said they would no loner be carrying Isaia, but I notice he has just expanded his Isaia listing so hopefully he is still going to carry them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads