• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Paul Smith Suits

Lowndes

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a Paul Smith Navy Blue 2 button suit for about $1200. I really liked the suit and was wondering if anybody has experience with this brand and what their opinion is? I am going for more a well fitted English look. I tried on a E. Zegna at the store today and while I absolutely loved the suit and fit it didn't seem like it was worth the $2200 price tag. Thanks in advance for your help. Here is a link to the Paul Smith suit http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...734cat11940745

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be a horrible idea imho. I wouldn't pay more than 400 for a ps suit. What about one of these for 1k? not the english look but a much better way to spend 1,200
smile.gif

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Well, you really are asking for it: posting a question like that here! There'll be more huffing and puffing than a stage-version of the Three Little Pigs.

Actually, my experience is that Paul Smith mainline suits can be very nice, if bought on discount (they have a sale store in London, from memory) or off eBay (near-new is best, given the amount of counterfeiting). I have one, bought second-hand, that is clearly full-canvassed, even to the point where the chest canvassing under the collar was done in brightly-coloured thread. And they're not all loud and youthful and all that un-SF stuff...

The so-called London line is gimmicky and pretty ordinary, though, on the whole. (And purely fused, I think.) And the PS line is mostly awful. As with all the 'name' labels, once you get below the top-drawer stuff, the quality disappears really fast. It's like there's a 'name' margin that gets relatively bigger and bigger as the total cost goes down...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I happen to like the cut of Paul Smith. I've got a main line and a London line. Of course, I still wouldn't pay full price for them. They usually go on sale during the end of the season. I got mine for less than $700 and around $300 respectively.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can bare the wait a lot of paul smith stuff goes to 50% or so on sale. Never owned one of the suits, although trying them on I have noticed they seem to be cut for the rather tall and slim.

pe-ja-per

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a Paul Smith suit from a seller off Ebay (UK). I only paid about £150 for it.
There are many Paul Smith suits for sale on Ebay UK, they are usually sold for £250 or thereabouts. I would definitely not pay $1200 for a Paul Smith suit.

Mine was BNWT though most likely a few years old. It's a 3 button charcoal with a very subtle pale lilac pinstripe. I must say I am quite happy with it (at that price) though I wish it were a 3 roll 2 instead of a true 3 button. The fit is slim but not too slim. I think perhaps some of the more recent models (The Byard) are slimmer.
I have only recently started reading the forum and paying attention to details and differences in quality etc. I tried the pinch test on my Paul Smith suit but failed: I wouldn't know if it was canvassed or fused. It does have roped shoulders though, that I could see... The wool is soft to the touch, the pinstripes are matched jacket-trousers.
One of the issues I have is that, when buttoning the middle button of my jacket, my shirt tends to show where it peeps from my waistband. A detail perhaps but one I find annoying. Perhaps I ought to post pictures of this in another thread?

MLIW

Reaction score
Might be best to go into a few paul smith suit vendors and try them on photograph them and get some sfers to give some quality advice/horrible critiscm!

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most if not all of the ps suits going for £150 on ebay are fakes

Reaction score
I needed a suit in a hurry a few months ago, a long way from home, and bought a Paul Smith "Willoughby" suit from a franchise - it cost around 450 pounds at the prevailing exchange rate. The fit and cut are reasonable, but the material and construction are shoddy. The fabric is really dreadful and the jacket feels pretty cheap. If I hadn't had such a pressing need and such a shortage of time, I wouldn't have bothered, and I still regret the purchase.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've owned suits from all his lines, and it's hit/miss on what you get

Mainline is definitely a well made garment. The one i had was from the mid 90s when they were still made in England. I tried on a newer one last year and something about the cut didnt fit me quite right for the $2200 or so they are going for.

London....terrible. Conservatively styled for office workers, mostly boring fabrics and details. Can always be found at sale time for under $500. Fit is boxy and stiff

PS....actually like these a lot. The cut is similar to mainline but some reason I fit better in it. Details mimic mainline, but not full canvassed.

Lowndes

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I actually went ahead and ordered a MTO Samuelsohn from The Hound here in San Francisco on Monday so I am all set on my suits. Thanks again.

chrisjr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I've owned suits from all his lines, and it's hit/miss on what you get

Mainline is definitely a well made garment. The one i had was from the mid 90s when they were still made in England. I tried on a newer one last year and something about the cut didnt fit me quite right for the $2200 or so they are going for.

London....terrible. Conservatively styled for office workers, mostly boring fabrics and details. Can always be found at sale time for under $500. Fit is boxy and stiff

PS....actually like these a lot. The cut is similar to mainline but some reason I fit better in it. Details mimic mainline, but not full canvassed.

I bought a Paul Smith suit for full retail a few years back (around $1350). I'm curious how to tell which line the suit I purchased is from? It wasn't clear when I bought it and the SA didn't mention it. The label doesn't help either. I am tall and slim and (IMO) it fits me very well.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ take a pic of the tag and post it here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads