• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on navy calf leather shoes

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've seen a nice loking pair of skids online in a traditional style but in navy calf for a good price. Haven't seen that mentioned much on here or displayed on WAYWN. In the picture they look almost black and maybe with some polish will 'turn' black. What say the SF in-the-knows?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Navy is very much a niche shoe color. Certain makers and designers have been trying to elevate its status in recent years. But it has yet to catch on as a staple color, probably because it's not traditional, and because it seems very unfamiliar to people accustomed to black and brown shoes.

If this is your first pair of nice dress shoes, I'd go with brown or black. If you've already got a sizable, versatile collection of staples, then knock yourself out.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love, have, want more. There was a pic in WAYWRN from banis today. These are my G&H:
DSC05661.jpg

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the know, but I like the navy calf shoes. When I heard AE was coming out with a navy MacNeil, I was skeptical. But when I saw them, I really like them. I was talking to the sales person at my local clothes/shoe store and he said you would wear them with about anything. He said navy is kind of a neutral that goes with most things. And they look almost black, so it's very subtle.

I am tempted. Not a traditional color, but I like it. I wonder what belt you would wear with it? Could you go with black? Or would you need a navy belt?

Chris

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Some good answers, thanks fellas. I still think I'd like to see them in the flesh (in the skin?) rather than trust my monitor or iPhone. The belt colour question is valid too. I'm sure there are navy belts around but a bit more tricky to track down than the usual shoe colours.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Love, have, want more.

There was a pic in WAYWRN from banis today.

These are my G&H:
DSC05661.jpg

Holy g-dang! those are freaking awesome!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIL on navy shoes. Do not get them.

Last thing I need you all to do is inject my next acquisition into the SF hype cycle.

acl1

Reaction score
Spoo, they're beautiful! relatively discrete as well - go for navy.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like them in the darker shades, the darker the better IMO.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only issue is it can be hard to find polish locally. Other then that I'm fine with them.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like them in theory but never wear mine. I've had a pair of Vass navy monks for years and probably wore them 3 times.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I like them in theory but never wear mine. I've had a pair of Vass navy monks for years and probably wore them 3 times.

I've come to feel that they're not really practical so mine just collect dust as well (and yes i'm admitting that iammatt and manton were correct).

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

This is what happens with odd color shoes. I'm still waiting for the day to break out my white Scotch grain wingtips.

That said, I've seen navy Beaulieus that looked awesome. And if you own blue and grey suits that are lighter than charcoal and navy, these shoes will work.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and add me to the list of people with blue shoes that collect dust.

BlueTestoni.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads