• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Navy Blue Chinos + Black Cherry Gentleman Travlers ; PICS INSIDE

OldManMachine

Reaction score
I went out with my girlfriend wearing a pair of navy blue chinos that were slightly faded, black cherry gentleman travelers, grey ocbd, and a black sweater. When we gout out of the car and was walking in the dim lighted street, she complemented on what I wore for the night and thought it looked really nice.

But as soon as we stepped out into brighter lighting, she said she takes back what she said because didn't like the navy blue chinos and thought they they didn't match with the black cherry GT's and with my black sweater (she never liked the look of navy blue chinos). We had a little debate and I thought the blue chinos looked okay with the GT's even though they were just a little bit faded.

So what do my fellow SFers here think? Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
(I had to pump up the brightness / contrast a bit on the photos so they would show the color more properly)

-What do you guys think on the color of the pants & shoes? the fit of the outfit?
-What do you guys recommend or will do differently.

-Should shirt be tucked in or untucked?

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went out with my girlfriend wearing a pair of navy blue chinos that were slightly faded, black cherry gentleman travelers, grey ocbd, and a black sweater. When we gout out of the car and was walking in the dim lighted street, she complemented on what I wore for the night and thought it looked really nice.

But as soon as we stepped out into brighter lighting, she said she takes back what she said because didn't like the navy blue chinos and thought they they didn't match with the black cherry GT's and with my black sweater (she never liked the look of navy blue chinos). We had a little debate and I thought the blue chinos looked okay with the GT's even though they were just a little bit faded.

So what do my fellow SFers here think? Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
(I had to pump up the brightness / contrast a bit on the photos so they would show the color more properly)

-What do you guys think on the color of the pants & shoes? the fit of the outfit?
-What do you guys recommend or will do differently.

-Should shirt be tucked in or untucked?

The pictures seems to get progressively worse...I think the shirt and trousers look good together and the fit appears fine. I don't care for GTs in general, so they aren't something I would have paired with the fit--they don't seem horribly out of place though. Adding the cardi and newsboy cap though, you start to take on the aura of a 70-year old man. Additionally, the boots start to look more out of place as well. If it were me, I'd go with the shirt and trousers, ditch the rest, and pair with some kind of minimalist canvas sneaker or vintage-looking dark-colored (not black) wingtip. Could probably even throw the cardi back on provided you don't wear it with the cap as well.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shirt, pants and boots look fine. Don't like the sweater, especially with the shirt sticking out the bottom. Don't think I'd like it anyway though. Also, ditch the cap. I do think a lighter colored shoe, tan or a medium brown, might look a little better, especially with the lighter colored shirt....but I think the GTs look fine as well.

I really want some navy chinos, never had a pair but they seem like a nice staple item and I think they look good when paired with a simple OCBD or similar shirt. Haven't found the perfect pair but I'm on the lookout.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads