• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on my selection

Reaction score
New to the forum, bash me if you want. Just want to know if ya'll think this looks well.

any advice or criticism is welcomed

100_0015.jpg

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks good in general, not sure about the tie. Seems a 1/4" wide, and I'd try a different color/pattern

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you have a pocket watch?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's your suit jacket? You need one with this look. +1 on the tie width and color/pattern.

Reaction score
well corporate sent out an email saying everyone had to wear red on black friday, so there is my red
smile.gif
and yes i have a pocket watch the jacket has side vent and flares a bit on the sides making my hips look huge, im in a small town and know of noone to refere me to a good tailor to have this rectified

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scottiethebody
the jacket has side vent and flares a bit on the sides making my hips look huge, im in a small town and know of noone to refere me to a good tailor to have this rectified

Post a pic with the jacket on, the side vents might be more your perception than reality

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Post a pic with the jacket on, the side vents might be more your perception than reality

First, the suit came from a very old consignment shop and it is likely twenty years old.

Back on target however, I don't think side vents are for my body type though, and this may be all it is. I will post a picture later

The jacket also seems to have ALOT of padding in the shoulders.

Label says made by : Sovereign in the USA

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
First, the suit came from a very old consignment shop and it is likely twenty years old.

Back on target however, I don't think side vents are for my body type though, and this may be all it is. I will post a picture later

The jacket also seems to have ALOT of padding in the shoulders.

Label says made by : Sovereign in the USA

Looks fine. Hike up the trousers though...belt shouldn't be seen with a waistcoat on.

ChrisLiu

Reaction score
I like it. If I HAVE to nitpick I would say your tie is too strong and vivid displayed on a plain white shirt. Reminds me of a 19th century western banker. Maybe a vest with 6 buttons, and a solid color skinny tie? Or if you like this old look why not throw in a gold tie bar! That would make you look really white collar corprate.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
My wife exclaimed that you look "adorable" that that for what its worth.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxinthe303
My wife exclaimed that you look "adorable" that that for what its worth.

much appreciated

Originally Posted by ChrisLiu
I like it. If I HAVE to nitpick I would say your tie is too strong and vivid displayed on a plain white shirt. Reminds me of a 19th century western banker. Maybe a vest with 6 buttons, and a solid color skinny tie? Or if you like this old look why not throw in a gold tie bar! That would make you look really white collar corprate.

if i could have had my choice a solid skinny tie would have be it

any color suggestion

Originally Posted by Drydis Greis
Looks fine. Hike up the trousers though...belt shouldn't be seen with a waistcoat on.

noted

Thanks alot, i was kind of excited about this outfit when i was putting it together

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Scotty, just two suggestions:

1. The vest is small on you. Not by much, and your girlish figure (that's a compliment) makes the best of it. Still, I'd like to see you with the jacket on and no vest.

2. That tie clashes with your outfit. Try one that's more patterned and more toward a truer shade of red.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Scotty, just two suggestions:

1. The vest is small on you. Not by much, and your girlish figure (that's a compliment) makes the best of it. Still, I'd like to see you with the jacket on and no vest.

2. That tie clashes with your outfit. Try one that's more patterned and more toward a truer shade of red.

I was waiting for someone to say the vest was to small, i typically can never find things that fit (items being to big). But for once i would say i agree, like you said not by to much. But since i have been lifting weights it has grown tighter the top button pull adds a crease? or something to the drape of it.

But yes i thought it was slighty to small, no way to let it out

girlish you say?

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to say the vest was to small, i typically can never find things that fit (items being to big). But for once i would say i agree, like you said not by to much. But since i have been lifting weights it has grown tighter the top button pull adds a crease? or something to the drape of it.

But yes i thought it was slighty to small, no way to let it out

girlish you say?

Yes, the horizontal creasing is due to strain. It's most noticeable at the chestline/top button.

The 'girlish figure' is my dad's tongue-in-cheek term for guys who have narrow waistlines. It's definitely meant as a compliment, but I probably shouldn't use it because most guys misunderstand it.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look great. May I suggest that the shirt fit is a touch large at the shoulders.
The shoulder seams are hanging over a bit too much.
Since you stated you are working out, I'm sure you'll fill out over time and the shirt shoulders will rest perfectly.
I give you a 7 out of 10. A fine start.
Thank you for sharing the photo. Your bravery to submit to the firing squad here is admirable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads