• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on my outfit

hevlk

Reaction score
I am pretty new to classic men's fashion although I always liked preppy clothing. But starting into classic fashion now and wanted to get your opinion on this outfit I wore to a dinner a few weeks ago. The navy blazer is from Zegna, found it in a vintage store in Hamburg, the shirt is from Suitsupply, trousers from Massimo Dutti made from cotton and linen, tie also from Massimo Dutti made from 100% silk (those two items are quite nice, but I don't like the quality of MD overall). Shoes are from Scarosso. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_2320.jpeg
    IMG_2320.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 208

jack webb

Reaction score
It looks good to me. Some might argue for a bit more length in the sleeve or a fuller break at the cuff, but I think overall you did fine.

hevlk

Reaction score
It looks good to me. Some might argue for a bit more length in the sleeve or a fuller break at the cuff, but I think overall you did fine.
thanks a lot! Sleeves are always an issue for me - it's hard to find jackets that have enough arm length but I couldn't turn down a Zegna for 60 € ;)

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Arms can usually be lengthened a tad, even with RTW clothing. If you have a good alterations tailor nearby it could be worth checking out. Still, the arms aren't terribly short, so even if you can't have them adjusted it's not highly noticeable.

I think the trousers are a bit too slim; this is more a preference than a "rule", and I know slimmer trousers are modern, but especially with a DB jacket (that tends to emphasize the chest and shoulders), slim trousers can make the legs look a bit spindly. Granted, if this is taken with a cell phone the distortion effect of the wide angle lenses on most cell phones may be partially responsible for that look, but I think comes across with the shoes as well; the leg opening looks rather narrow, which makes your feet appear larger. And I'm not saying that has to be a bad thing, but it's something to be aware of.

Still, both the arm length and the trouser cut are fairly minor points - the kinds that you'll hear only from menswear nerds with too much menswear time on their menswear hands. Well put-together outfit, and congratulations on that jacket. Indeed a good find!

hevlk

Reaction score
Arms can usually be lengthened a tad, even with RTW clothing. If you have a good alterations tailor nearby it could be worth checking out. Still, the arms aren't terribly short, so even if you can't have them adjusted it's not highly noticeable.

I think the trousers are a bit too slim; this is more a preference than a "rule", and I know slimmer trousers are modern, but especially with a DB jacket (that tends to emphasize the chest and shoulders), slim trousers can make the legs look a bit spindly. Granted, if this is taken with a cell phone the distortion effect of the wide angle lenses on most cell phones may be partially responsible for that look, but I think comes across with the shoes as well; the leg opening looks rather narrow, which makes your feet appear larger. And I'm not saying that has to be a bad thing, but it's something to be aware of.

Still, both the arm length and the trouser cut are fairly minor points - the kinds that you'll hear only from menswear nerds with too much menswear time on their menswear hands. Well put-together outfit, and congratulations on that jacket. Indeed a good find!
Thank you! Had to smile reading the last paragraph... I mean, we are all here for the nerd stuff, aren't we? :D

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Thank you! Had to smile reading the last paragraph... I mean, we are all here for the nerd stuff, aren't we? :D

At it's best, Styleforum is a haven for the kind of sartorial nerdiness that would make even Star Trek nerds fluent in old klingon (not to be confused with that gauche NEW klingon that the wannabees speak) go "That's pretty nerdy, dude". At worst, it's a bunch of fussy middle aged men having passionate slap fights about socks.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For me, the trousers are too slim for the coat and they create a disconnect between the upper and lower halves of your body. When choosing trousers, find something that flows into your coat. This creates a more harmonious silhouette.

Mark at The Armoury explains this concept here

hevlk

Reaction score
For me, the trousers are too slim for the coat and they create a disconnect between the upper and lower halves of your body. When choosing trousers, find something that flows into your coat. This creates a more harmonious silhouette.

Mark at The Armoury explains this concept here

Thanks for your advice!

singlechange

Reaction score
To me the shirt collar and shoes look very good. The blazer is a bit too short in length. Most of us have to learn that a bargain, though hard at first to resist, is not the answer. The most crucial aspect of clothing is proper fit. We all fall too easily for getting a good deal. When you go for fit first, you will save a lot more money.
Robert A.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I agree that wider trousers would be better. The blazer looks great and the length is fine. The sleeves and the trousers could be a touch longer though.

Johnny80

Reaction score
A wider trouser or an slimmer jacket, for you i think even an drop 8 can do the job
So , what you find to like more...a pair of wider trousers or an drop 8 jacket

brocule

Reaction score
pretty nice
a little change might be better
the wide of the trousers should be bigger

Chadclass

Reaction score
I think the outfit is exceptional! Especially for someone just getting into classic menswear. I know there’s an argument for a wider trouser, but I think for someone as young as the two of us, their just about ideal. Of course, that’ll change as time goes by! I think you’ve accomplished the perfect balance of a young, preppy look, with a more mature and professional outfit! Well done. And $60 for a Zegna jacket? Cheers to you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics