• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on my new suit

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Hello all, I just recently lost 50 pounds so I need a whole new wardrobe. I've made my first purchase: a Hickey Freeman Solid Navy 2 Button Madison 42R, which I purchased at the HF Outlet at Woodbury Commons. I got it for $600 which I thought was a pretty good deal. This is my first "expensive" suit, I just got it tailored and I wanted to post some pics so you guys could tell me what you think. Go easy it's my first try
smile.gif
http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02193gw6.jpg http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02194ac6.jpg http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02199zf6.jpg http://img366.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02198vt5.jpg http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02197iw5.jpg http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02203mf8.jpg I don't know how to get the pics to show up in the thread so I put the links.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggyosk
Hello all,

I just recently lost 50 pounds so I need a whole new wardrobe. I've made my first purchase: a Hickey Freeman Solid Navy 2 Button Madison 42R, which I purchased at the HF Outlet at Woodbury Commons. I got it for $600 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

This is my first "expensive" suit, I just got it tailored and I wanted to post some pics so you guys could tell me what you think. Go easy it's my first try
smile.gif

I don't know how to get the pics to show up in the thread so I put the links.

Congratulations are in order on several points:

• Congratulations on losing fifty pounds. That's the biggest accomplishment of all. I'm sure a great deal of effort went into that accomplishment. You'll find that you will feel better, look better, have more self-confidence which is already showing in your decision to buy clothes that will make you look even better after your weight loss. Again congratulations!

• Congratulations on picking a good name brand "Hickey Freeman". I'm not trying to shill HF, but they are a good choice because they manufacture quality products as opposed to others who use a lot of glue.

• Congraulations on picking a versatile color and pattern - solid navy. You could have gone crazy and bought some way out chalk stripe thing, but you will find that this suit will do more for you in so many situations. You will be thankful that you chose versatility.

• Congratualtions on getting the fit perfect and it does look perfect to me. You made a good choice in working with your tailor to get it fitted properly.

• Congratulations on seeking a value purchase. You could have gone to an expensive retailer and bought the same thing for much more. Instead, you chose the frugal route and now you have money left over for a shirt, tie, shoes, belt, etc.

All in all you did a great job. This should be a testimonial for all newcomers to the forum who wish to move ahead with a professional appearance.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Congrats on the weight loss and new suit. The suit looks great on you. The pants are just a tad long for me but it passes. Congrats again!

brlfvr

Reaction score
I think you've done great. I agree the pants may be a bit long with the cuff. The shoes are great. What are they and how much were they?

ziggyosk

Reaction score
thanks for all the positive feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. It does feel great to lose that weight, and since I bought this suit I've gotten at least 20 compliments on how great I look(I guess they can tell now that I'm not wearing those huge suits that don't fit me anymore)

The shoes are just Johnston and Murphy's, I've had them for a couple of years now, and they aren't great but they get the job done. I actually just went to NYC and went to Turnbull and Asser to check out the C&J's they have. I found out I'm an 11 in the Handgrade line and I plan on ordering the Weymouth and Belgrave off plal.com in a month or so.

I still have about 10 pounds to go which should give me a little more room in the jacket(it's just slightly snug in the back under my armpits) it should be perfect then, and if not I found a great tailor in Hartford Gus Fas(he tailored this one) and I'm sure he could adjust it slightly more if needed.

I'm looking for a Solid Charcoal HF Madison if anyone knows where I could get one at a deal. I tried calling all the HF outlets in the North East but nobody has one. I guess I can just keep calling every couple weeks but if anybody knows of any somewhere else on sale let me know.

thanks again everybody.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Looks good but take the pant's back and have them adjusted before you wear them and start creating marks on the seams which are hard to eradicate. Now white shirt and sophisticated blue on blue tie. See Manton's rec's. Alternatively go for a red patterned power tie!!

Serg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggyosk
thanks for all the positive feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. It does feel great to lose that weight, and since I bought this suit I've gotten at least 20 compliments on how great I look(I guess they can tell now that I'm not wearing those huge suits that don't fit me anymore) The shoes are just Johnston and Murphy's, I've had them for a couple of years now, and they aren't great but they get the job done. I actually just went to NYC and went to Turnbull and Asser to check out the C&J's they have. I found out I'm an 11 in the Handgrade line and I plan on ordering the Weymouth and Belgrave off plal.com in a month or so. I still have about 10 pounds to go which should give me a little more room in the jacket(it's just slightly snug in the back under my armpits) it should be perfect then, and if not I found a great tailor in Hartford Gus Fas(he tailored this one) and I'm sure he could adjust it slightly more if needed. I'm looking for a Solid Charcoal HF Madison if anyone knows where I could get one at a deal. I tried calling all the HF outlets in the North East but nobody has one. I guess I can just keep calling every couple weeks but if anybody knows of any somewhere else on sale let me know. thanks again everybody.
I use Gus! He always recommends a break on pants. I disagree with that though.. breaks with a cuff = bad. He does bespoke for pretty cheap 800-1200 depending on fabric. Still havn't tried it though.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good suit, decent fit, but the sleeves are too long and the upper back off, possibly too tight there and complicated by a dropped shoulder.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
the pictures make the sleeves seem too long i didn't have my shirt pulled down properly when taking the pictures. and the back is a little tight, but i'm still losing 10-15 more pounds so that should end up being perfect, if not i'll have it taken out a little

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads