1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on linen trousers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TimelessRider, Mar 29, 2004.

1. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

I'm hoping to make some changes to my wardrobe this summer if it ever makes an appearance in the North East. I intend to move away from my usual jeans/cargo shorts to something different.

Do the 100% linen pants get wrinkled too easily and should I go with a cotton blend?

Also any opinions on the linen pants carried by Land's End? Any other recommendations?

2. rayk

rayk Senior member

Pure linen garments do indeed readily wrinkle, but this is one of the defining characteristics of this material. Â I love pure linen pants, but cotton/linen blends are okay as well, and won't wrinkle as severely. Â For casual wear, I'd go with the pure linen...there is nothing quite like it: just marvelous for summer wear. Can't help you with Land's End linens. Â Do check ebay. Â It's not uncommon to find higher quality pants, such as Zanella, for reasonable prices.

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

I have purchased a few pairs of linen pants over the fall/winter (got some great sale prices.) to wear this summer.  I can't wait until it gets warm enough.

I got two pairs of 100% linen drawstring pants in light olive green and light tan.  These are a little looser fitting and are obviously going to get wrinkled.  I think that's all part of the look of linen.  I can't wait to wear these with nice sandals and a looser-fitting button down shirt.

I also got a pair of black 100% linen pants with belt loops, no drawstring.  A bit dressier and cut slimmer.  They might wrinkle a little but I don't expect them to as much.  The linen feels thicker and stiffer.

Last, I got a pair in 55% linen, 45% cotton in very light beige/stone.  This pair has belt loops and is flat-front with a slimmer cut.  I think the cotton helps prevent wrinkles. They have the look of regular trousers (with the drape being a little looser) and also have the great texture linen provides.  I plan to wear them with sandals or a brown suede slip-on Bruno Magli moc and a slim-cut dress shirt, untucked.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of what to look for, and also give you an idea of the look/properties of linen vs. linen blends.

4. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Linen pants will inherently get wrinkled. Don't even worry about the wrinkles; they're part of the look.

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

I actually like that look a lot. It provides a nice contrast when you wear a crisp shirt with the looser, semi-wrinkled pants.

Wow, I can't wait to wear my new linen pants. It got up to 65 degrees here a few days ago, and I almost broke out the pants but recalled the 'Easter Sunday' rule. Darn, so tempting.

6. j

j Senior member Admin

I don't think there's an Easter rule for linen, just for white. Wear linen whenever it's warm enough.

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

Sorry, I confused linen with the 'white rule'. For some reason, I thought the wearing of linen clothing followed the same guidelines.

8. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Pretty much the look I'm going for, except I'll probably go a bit looser fitting. And if I can handle the stares, maybe I'll throw on a Panama hat. [​IMG] I'll keep an eye out for linen pants on ebay. Thanks everyone.

9. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I could see where they would overlap, but I think both should come out when the weather warms up -- which is just about now, for me. [​IMG]

10. greg54

greg54 Member

I think I read in another thread that you have got H&M shops in the US. I bought a couple of pairs of linen trousers from one of their shops in Norway two years ago, one for about $45, the other one for about $30. I have worn them a lot, great for dancing and general summer wear, good quality and fit, and they wrinkle less than the Italian pair I bought for nearly $200 many years ago. Just machine wash and hang to dry. No need for ironing, (depending on how fussy you are). So I highly recommend them.