• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

opinions on Lands End merchandise? jacket link inside

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never thought I would even look at anything from lands end but then last year GQ featured a down vest by lands end in one of their articles. It was like $30, very slim, lightweight, and looked great so I went and bought it. It has held up perfect.

So recently I was at Sears getting a new TV stand, went through the clothing section and came across this down jacket by Lands End. It was great, slim fit, warm, nice subtle styling touches and best of all it was like $55. I am thinking of picking it up as a throw on jacket when I am running to the movie stroe or whatever on these cool fall days, here is the link to it (looks much better in person imo), if you have a lands end near you check it out, it is a pretty good buy for the money, that is of course if you dont mind it being made by lands end (sad to say I did at first but then got over it rather quickly)...

http://www.landsend.com/pp/Weatherly...3&origin=index

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Land's End gets much love on SF, but as far as I'm concerned the quality of the clothes is far above what they cost. I have a number of shirts and sweaters that I've gotten on sale (at ridiculously low prices, seriously) that are great. Right now I'm wearing a cashmere/cotten blend v neck sweater that is indistinguishable from a Brooks Brothers sweater I have. I payed $20 for the land's end, and probably $75 for the BB on sale. And you can't beat their return policy - you can return anything, for any reason, no matter how worn it is.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I never thought I would even look at anything from lands end but then last year GQ featured a down vest by lands end in one of their articles. It was like $30, very slim, lightweight, and looked great so I went and bought it. It has held up perfect.

So recently I was at Sears getting a new TV stand, went through the clothing section and came across this down jacket by Lands End. It was great, slim fit, warm, nice subtle styling touches and best of all it was like $55. I am thinking of picking it up as a throw on jacket when I am running to the movie stroe or whatever on these cool fall days, here is the link to it (looks much better in person imo), if you have a lands end near you check it out, it is a pretty good buy for the money, that is of course if you dont mind it being made by lands end (sad to say I did at first but then got over it rather quickly)...

http://www.landsend.com/pp/Weatherly...3&origin=index

So what you are saying is that you are a GQ whore. If GQ features a monkey costume, or a Winnie-the-Pooh beanie hat, and declares them fashionable, you'd be in line to get them?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Lands' End. I buy stuff from them every year for my kids. Their cords are good too. But it's trial and error. Some items are nicer & a better value than others. At their prices & with their return policy, it's no problem if you try something and they fail you.

Arman

Reaction score
Most of my pants are lands ends since I always need to get them hemmed for the inseam. I have found their pants also hit & miss on quality, but the exceptional return policy has made me a loyal customer for about 10 years now. I got the vest last year too from Sears $12, and it is the best down vest I have ever owned.

I'm sure the jacket is warm, but I don't like it very much. Too redneck looking to me. I had the Marinac when it first came out, and it was crap. I did like idea of a "water resistant fleece jacket" but the execution was not there. I am liking the canvas field coat though.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought a number of items--BD shirts, pants, wool ties--from Lands' End in the past year or so and have have become quite a fan of theirs. I think their merchandise is good stuff in its own right and excellent value for the money.

That said, I've never tried any of their suits or sport coats. Probably they are decent value for the rather low prices but not, of course, nearly up to what I have come to expect from my friends in Kowloon.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
So what you are saying is that you are a GQ whore. If GQ features a monkey costume, or a Winnie-the-Pooh beanie hat, and declares them fashionable, you'd be in line to get them?

yes

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am on a low budget this winter. looks like i know where to go for my winter jackets, this, H&M, and the BS forum!

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Years ago they had acceptable cashmere sweaters which have deteriorated consistently to the point where they are thin, shapeless and useless. Pants are okay but will likely need to be tailored. Wool socks are nice but don't last very long - they refuse to reinforce them at the heels and toes.

neony

Reaction score
To the original poster:

Did you end up buying this jacket? If so, how has it held up? How's the warmth? Is it worthy of being a 'winter' coat?

I just purchased it online the other day for $30 on the LE site. Need something to wear on those sloppy wet cold days of February in the city (wish I would have had this for this morning's commute). Before purchasing I did a search on SF and saw this thread. Was glad to hear about the slim fit more than anything...

Anyway, just curious...any feedback is appreciated.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neony
To the original poster:

Did you end up buying this jacket? If so, how has it held up? How's the warmth? Is it worthy of being a 'winter' coat?

I just purchased it online the other day for $30 on the LE site. Need something to wear on those sloppy wet cold days of February in the city (wish I would have had this for this morning's commute). Before purchasing I did a search on SF and saw this thread. Was glad to hear about the slim fit more than anything...

Anyway, just curious...any feedback is appreciated.

No I did not end up purchasing it but for $30 it is def. a great buy IMO. The fit and styling is very nice, kinda 70's style puff jacket, not over stuffed and huge but rather slim. Just from trying it on I can say it is not super warm, like something from the higher end NF, but prob. good enough.

neony

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I actually got the jacket today. Nice slim fit in the shoulders but just a tad loose around the torso and waist. But as mentioned, it does not feel like it will be all that super warm, so it will probably be a coat I wear over a sweater on most occasions.

I'm not a huge cold weather hiker / skier / etc., so I don't buy much 'performance' gear. But how does Land's End get off giving a 'temperature rating' for a coat this light:

TEMPERATURE RATING: -10°/-5° Fahrenheit. Over layering pieces, this Weatherly Jacket will keep you warm in
-10° weather; over a light layer, in -5° weather.

It's well constructed and nice fitting, no doubt. But I can't believe they give this temperature range to a coat that is so light and thin. Oh well, we'll see. Nice coat for the money regardless.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads