• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions On Gutteridge 1878

Summerstile-1

Reaction score
Hi!
Some time ago i came across a brand named "Gutteridge 1878". The clothes look great and I'm thinking about buying a pair of trousers and maybe a corduroy blazer from them.

I was wondering if anyone had experience and opinions on Gutteridge 1878. The quality of clothes, shipping and so on. Or if anyone has an alternative brand somewhere in the same price range.

Thanks in advance.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have experience with their ties. I live in NY, but bought a few when I was in Milan many, many years ago. They design was top notch. The quality is not terrible, but nothing to write home about. Probably on par with H&M or Zara IMO. Like I said, I appreciate their design aesthetic. They have a low price point for that style of clothing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I once went to the location in Naples. Personally wasn't that impressed with the clothing and think you can find better options nowadays.

Angel91

Reaction score
I, too, discovered them recently. The quality is decent (although they tend to exaggerate it), and the prices are good when on sale. Unfortunately, I’ve returned almost everything I got. Jackets too slim, trousers too low, footwear very bad quality. In general, if you have a slim body and want something cheap that “kinds” of look good, go for it. In that same level, I prefer Massimo Dutti, also very fashion forward but sometimes a bit more conservative. Otherwise stick to suitsupply or spier and Mackay.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Agree. Very inexpensive and a much more ‘classic menswear with a twist’ style than most things of that price range. But quality is pretty poor (Zara level) and the fits are very skinny/short.

Summerstile-1

Reaction score
I, too, discovered them recently. The quality is decent (although they tend to exaggerate it), and the prices are good when on sale. Unfortunately, I’ve returned almost everything I got. Jackets too slim, trousers too low, footwear very bad quality. In general, if you have a slim body and want something cheap that “kinds” of look good, go for it. In that same level, I prefer Massimo Dutti, also very fashion forward but sometimes a bit more conservative. Otherwise stick to suitsupply or spier and Mackay.

Did you order from their website? I've heard that their customer service isn't that great.

Angel91

Reaction score
Well.. I just sent the items back and got the money refunded. When I’ve talked to them through WhatsApp they answer promptly, but I really haven’t had any problems with them so I don’t know.

Angel91

Reaction score
Well.. I just sent the items back and got the money refunded. When I’ve talked to them through WhatsApp they answer promptly, but I really haven’t had any problems with them so I don’t know.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I have a few things from them due to the very attractive price point, though am no longer satisfied with the quality to keep buying. Still, they probably can't be beat in design for this cheap (particularly during sales), some items are indeed very nice, particularly military jackets.
I picked up a very nice partially self-lined linen field jacket for very very cheap, and it's the main piece from them I still like to this day, in addition to a couple polos with shirt-like contrasting chambray collar. But they also had another nice field jacket in cotton, except the sizing proportions made no sense at all (the 50 somehow felt both large and snug, despite me being somewhere between 46 and 48 in most brands), with side-access pockets so tight only a baby could actually access them; also, a sahariana-styled washed linen one where the belt was clearly too large to be cinched at all (I showed this to the sales assistant, assuming the belt had been mismatched, but instead he claimed, straight faced, that the belt is not meant to be cinched. Not kidding).
Their tailoring is super slim and short and just generally bad, not even on their model looks good unless you are into that tight look pulling everywhere.
Their trousers are too tapered for my taste, though being very affordable, could be cost-effective if one likes that look - I have a pair in linen-tencel blend (washable!) which feels nice in the summer, for that price point ofc.
Their footwear is terrible, I bought a pair of white sneakers on clearance on some 75% off, but despite being full leather, they are super uncomfortable and would not buy them again at any price, no point in super-uncomfortable sneakers.
Finally, and comically given the super slim tailoring, the knitwear is too baggy in the waist for me, though at least looks nice (no idea on durability).

Bonus: they have a tendency to style their models with ankle-length trousers, waistcoats and belts (!). Despite being one of the very few brands at this price point that actually produces some trousers with side-tabs, ironically (I know because I looked everywhere for those).

Aly.B

Reaction score
Hi, could anyone provide some sizing advice on their suit trousers? I have pretty muscular legs and none of these Italian “slim” pants fit me off the rack. My waist size falls between 33-34, so should I size up to 36 or 38 and get the waist taken in so I could have enough room in the thigh and calf area? Or are they too slim for even doing that? Secondly, is that worth it for their trousers? I like some 120’s wool flannel suit trousers that I would want to get to be worn as separates and I have no idea about their quality. On their sale prices, are they good for the money? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Angel91

Reaction score
The price is good, but the fit is really slim and low waisted, I don’t think its a matter of sizing up, its just that they’re impossible to wear, at least for me, even sizing up. Very uncomfortable

wik

Reaction score
If you want to argue with the company about your warranty rights and feel that you are another idiot who left your money for nothing, for crap wrapped in gold paper - Gutteridge is just right for you. Customer service don't respect the law of customers , and customers at all. That how the opinion of waranty service looks like :
"Dear Customer,
thank you for contacting us.
With regard to your report, we inform you that all our garments, before being made available for sale, are subjected to scrupulous compliance and quality
tests.
The article, object of the complaint, has successfully passed these checks, therefore, no anomaly has been found.
In the light of the considerations indicated above, we inform you that your complaint cannot be accepted positively."

In shortcut : we used to check all the products , and there are no possibilities for any damages . Your cloths are broken after one seson ? It is no possible, because we arleady checked that there are indestructible

undertoneboy

Reaction score
Hi!
Some time ago i came across a brand named "Gutteridge 1878". The clothes look great and I'm thinking about buying a pair of trousers and maybe a corduroy blazer from them.

I was wondering if anyone had experience and opinions on Gutteridge 1878. The quality of clothes, shipping and so on. Or if anyone has an alternative brand somewhere in the same price range.

Thanks in advance.
I recently bought a 300€ 100% wool coat for 100€ the quality is amazing, but the coat turned out to be lightweight. I will now be using that coat only in the afternoons when it's not as cold and in autumn and spring. Because all their coats are at this 300€ price point I reckon all of them are lightweight. If you want a winter coat look somewhere else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics