• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Gieves and Hawkes Shoes

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a pair of shoes from this company but cannot find much information on here about them. Is it a quality brand? I am looking for a pair of oxfords that are around $280. Thanks.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made by Cheaney IIRC - certainly a very solid, good quality shoe that (if you pick the right model) can have a bit of flair to it.

$280 sounds a fair price, I'd not pay much more than that.

Macallan

Reaction score
My only wear of Gieves shoes are a med-brown oxford with a herringbone style pattern, purchased in 2008 at half-price for £125. They are Cheaney-made and their current stock also seems to be from Cheaney. (I have had better luck with this pair then my only Cheaney-branded shoes, although for some reason, not had an issues with other out-sourced Cheaney shoes just my only Cheaney shoes.)

Some of the Gieves shoes are nice and others not (e.g. bucket oxfords). In terms of price, not worth paying full retail, especially those based in or near London and Northampton. $280 is not a good price for the UK; however, for the US, probably is.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
Made by Cheaney IIRC

+1 -- Cheaney used to be own by Church's and still uses similar materials. For the sale price they are a great bargain. But get them while you can because after January, Gieves & Hawkes is switching manufacturers.

DorianGrey

Reaction score
I saw one of the most beautiful pairs of shoes ever in the G&H store at #1. They were a beautiful brown plain toe with an "aged" look but not quite the "museum" look popular at the time (circa 2008). I do not recall the makers stamp. I do recall they were £ 600. They were not Lobbs. I think the salesman said they were made by Church's for G&H.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
But get them while you can because after January, Gieves & Hawkes is switching manufacturers.

Again! Hopefully but not optimistic that it will be EG (then along with RL, a good place to get EG shoes). Do you know who the new contract will be with?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
But get them while you can because after January, Gieves & Hawkes is switching manufacturers.

Originally Posted by Macallan
Again! Hopefully but not optimistic that it will be EG.............

Gieves & Hawkes switches manufacturers of their footwear every few years.

Every Northampton shoemaker and his grandmother must have supplied shoes to G&H at one time or another (including EG).

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good info here. (search function
smile.gif
)

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More recent than 6 months ago? Not much has changed since then...
smile.gif
But my pair has broken in nicely, I always get compliments on them, and they are ultra comfy. I just wore them 2 days ago.
1eb02de9.jpg
I had the unfortunate timing to wear them in the middle of a hurricane, and they got drenched. Save for a few wrinkles that remain, they bounced back nicely for practically being underwater. The pair you posted looks great and is of similar quality to mine. $280 is a fair price IMO.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
More recent than 6 months ago? Not much has changed since then...
smile.gif
But my pair has broken in nicely, I always get compliments on them, and they are ultra comfy. I just wore them 2 days ago.
1eb02de9.jpg
I had the unfortunate timing to wear them in the middle of a hurricane, and they got drenched. Save for a few wrinkles that remain, they bounced back nicely for practically being underwater. The pair you posted looks great and is of similar quality to mine. $280 is a fair price IMO.

Touche-thanks for the feedback. They look great, considering the hurricane.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
What of G&H ,Butthot brogues:

Not butthot, buckshot.

And if any of you spot a 9.5 in this shoe, please let me know. Been wanting these for some time without luck.

Verrihappy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
G & H shoes are overpriced run of the mill Cheaneys. Before Cheaney they were made by Grenson. Not sure what would happen now that Cheaney has broken free and on its own.

The buckshot shoes were made by Cheaney, and an UK ebay seller, Elite Forum, has access to these NOS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics