• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opinions on Gant as leisurewear

TintinATL

Reaction score
There was an interesting article on this topic recently on the Men's Flair blog - http://www.mensflair.com/shopping-gu...discovered.php.

From my own experience, Gant has a different image in Europe than it does in the US: more upscale and, yes, more akin to RL. They have some nice, understated-preppy pieces that work well for casual wear.

ed1234

Reaction score
I like Gant's range, and generally it's as good quality as RL / Tommy Hilfiger / etc. A cut above Gap but also a cut below other, generally more expensive, brands. Some of my favourite casualwear is Gant, though.

My biggest problem with Gant is that they seem unable to resist sticking their logo or name in just-too-large font on almost everything they produce. As I am not generally a fan of advertising the brands I wear, this often persuades me to find an equivalent item elsewhere, without the branding. I have similar problems, of course, with RL though generally their top-end stuff isn't so branded.

Edit: I should add that I am UK-based, so my opinions are on European Gant stores - I understand from Tintin's article (thanks, btw, interesting read) that the stores are different in the US.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see a lot of Gant in Europe, but not as much in the US, especially in recent years. They have some nice pieces that seem to be very well made.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Gant, the NYC store is has some good stuff, but I always pop into the stores in the EU, it's like Massimio Dutti, but more American Prep.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ed1234
I like Gant's range, and generally it's as good quality as RL / Tommy Hilfiger / etc.

Come again?

ed1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Come again?

In my experience things I have bought from Gant have lasted about as long as things I have bought from RL or TH and generally appear to be about as well made. You are welcome to disagree, like I say, this is only in my experience.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come again?

Some American manufacturers (Hilfiger, GAP, Avirex, yes, that Avirex, A&F etc.) have better brand equity in foreign markets. In some cases, their goods sold outside of the States are better made too.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fair enough. I just had no idea Hilfiger was an esteemed brand anywhere. I still have a hard time believing it would ever reach Ralph Lauren levels...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fair enough. I just had no idea Hilfiger was an esteemed brand anywhere. I still have a hard time believing it would ever reach Ralph Lauren levels...
Hilfiger seems to be all over Europe, and quite popular. My guess is that it's more popular than RL in Europe based on the number of Hilfiger stores I've seen there compared to RL.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Hilfiger seems to be all over Europe, and quite popular. My guess is that it's more popular than RL in Europe based on the number of Hilfiger stores I've seen there compared to RL.

Popularity I can understand. It's the quality that surprises me. For the record I am referring to Purple and Black labels here. Maybe the better Polo stuff as well. I'm sure Hilfiger more than adequately stacks up against "Ralph" pieces.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.8%
  • 31 - 40