Opinions on Cardelino Tailor?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hanker565, Jan 6, 2007.

1. hanker565

hanker565 Senior member

Just got a nice Oxxford suit from ebay. The fit is OK...I'll need to get the sleeves shortened and the sides taken in.

I had a terrible experience with Peppino a couple months ago so I was thinking about trying Wilfred's but came across Cardelino's while searching around. The $40 for shortening sleeves at Wilfred's isn't very attractive.

So should I risk giving the suit to Cardelino for the sleeves and sides?

Thanks

btw for those who don't know, Cardelino has a website: http://www.cardelinodrycleaner.com/

2. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I am a Wilfred's refugee now working with Cardelino. This was on the recommendation of shirtmaven.

I've given Cardelino small jobs with good results, and will soon try larger ones.

3. hanker565

hanker565 Senior member

Thanks mack and shirtmaven. I think I'll drop it off this week...will report back on how it goes.

4. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

So, how did it go? I dropped off a suit at Cardelino for sleeves and hems this afternoon. His prices are higher than Peppino, but if the work is done right the first time, I'm happy. Usually I have collars lowered and the jacket taken in, so I'm interested to hear how your jacked taken in came out.

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

btw for those who don't know, Cardelino has a website:

Sorry for the necroposting, but the Internet is forever, so I just wanted to point out that the Cardelino referenced in the first post of this thread is not the same business as the one commonly referred to around these parts. It's confusing, and I don't know the history, but they are two separate businesses. The one you want is the one on Broadway, not on 23rd St.

6. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

yea, cardilino the cleaner is not the same as cardilino the tailor.

7. free

free Well-Known Member

yea, cardilino the cleaner is not the same as cardilino the tailor.

The cleaner must be wondering why demand for their alteration servation has been increasing... I for example have taken at least 4 pair of pants to them.

8. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I think they are related, cousins perhaps, but yes the tailor is on B'way not 23rd.

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I don't know if they're related or not. But for example, I once asked the tailors (on Broadway) whether they could dry clean a suit I was having altered. They said they could not, which I assume they would have been willing to do, if the businesses had any relation to each other.

@free--I had a feeling that more than one person here had conflated the two, based on some negative comments about Cardelino that seemed very uncharacteristic of the real Cardelino (not that they are above mistakes, but they are not incompetent).

I just dropped off two more suits there today. I had to ask him three times before he relented and marked the sleeves where I wanted them, but that's a problem of preference, not competence. I suspect many alterations tailors are conditioned to leave sleeves too long, lest they get complaints about overshortening.

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

the two cardilino's are related. I think the one on 23rd is the nephew of the one on B'way.
    the one on B'way is not allowed to charge for dry cleaning garments. this would be in violation of their lease.
    Green cleaners on 22nd street operates the dry cleaning consession inside Madison Green( the building that cardalino's rents from. there is a non compete clause in their lease.

Carl

11. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

I just dropped off two more suits there today. I had to ask him three times before he relented and marked the sleeves where I wanted them, but that's a problem of preference, not competence. I suspect many alterations tailors are conditioned to leave sleeves too long, lest they get complaints about overshortening.

I have that problem with them all the time. My suit sleeves are supposed to be 4 inches from the tip of my thumb, not 3 1/2 or 3 3/4. I had that problem with wilfred too the few times...

12. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

FWIW - I stopped going to Cardelino after he put a hole in an Isaia S150 suit jacket.

13. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Am I the only one that still goes to Peppino's? He's always done right by me.

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I have that problem with them all the time. My suit sleeves are supposed to be 4 inches from the tip of my thumb, not 3 1/2 or 3 3/4. I had that problem with wilfred too the few times...

I had the same problem with cuffs. I dropped off six pairs of pants and the first one was pinned with way too much break. I just told him I wanted it shorter, and by the second and third pair he did it perfectly without any need for correction.