1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opinions on a tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DGP, Jul 10, 2006.

1. DGP

DGP Distinguished Member

I was just going through Barneys website, and saw a tie that caught my attention. What do you think of it? I know that Brioni makes amazing clothes, but how do their ties stack up? And, what do you think of the pattern? It would likely go with a white shirt, and either navy or gray suits.

http://216.74.138.233/images/barneys...9.7992_ZM1.jpg

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

I was just going through Barneys website, and saw a tie that caught my attention. What do you think of it? I know that Brioni makes amazing clothes, but how do their ties stack up? And, what do you think of the pattern? It would likely go with a white shirt, and either navy or gray suits.

http://216.74.138.233/images/barneys...9.7992_ZM1.jpg

Nice. Their ties are generally of good quality, on the thick/heavy side.

3. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Distinguished Member

Looks very nice and you can get it work with a lot of different suits.

4. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

I don't care for the colors or pattern at all. But I won't be the one wearing it.

5. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

I rather like it. Nice, breezy summer colours IMHO.

6. DGP

DGP Distinguished Member

Nice. Their ties are generally of good quality, on the thick/heavy side.
    Will that be a problem for a taller guy who likes wearing spread collars, and tends to use a full windsor? Would I still get a big enough knott with a half windsor? Maybe most importantly, is $83 a decent price?

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't care for the colors or pattern at all. But I won't be the one wearing it.

Same here

8. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior Member

A tad bit busy for my tastes -- but I have heard from numerous places that Brioni ties are top-notch.

9. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Will that be a problem for a taller guy who likes wearing spread collars, and tends to use a full windsor? Would I still get a big enough knott with a half windsor? Maybe most importantly, is $83 a decent price?
    Brioni ties are indeed very nice. They aren't so thick that I find them a problem with a spread collar and full or half windsor (I'm 6'3", 160 lbs.). I'm not a fan of this particular tie, but only because I'm so thin that I like thicker stripes. And $83 is a good price. Though I don't remember their full retail price (having a senior moment), I seem to recall it's around $150 or above. Edit: Spot-checked the NM website. They ask $165 retail. Guess I can still claim to be in my youth.

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

I have dozens of Brioni ties and am most happy with the quality of construction, fabric and style. It's hard to see how one could bo wrong with a Brioni tie.