• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

opinions on a sportcoat

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

uriahheep

Reaction score
I detest jackets which have a welt breast pockets and lower patch pockets. IMO if a jacket has lower patch pockets the breast pocket should be a patch pocket as well.

armscye

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that jacket for warm weather wear.

You'll get plenty of easy looks out of it by pairing with light blue shirts, which of course make your skin tones look nice. I'd avoid overlight khaki slacks, since then you get the "darker on top" effect that turns your vee-shape into an inverted vee.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I detest jackets which have a welt breast pockets and lower patch pockets.  IMO if a jacket has lower patch pockets the breast pocket should be a patch pocket as well.
This is a Naples tradition. Or really a southern Italian tradition. They do it all the time. A tailor once explained to me a high-minded reason, but I forgot what it was.

cuffthis

Reaction score
pictures not the best but there appears to be no waist suppression with this coat. And the high button stance doesn't create nice lines.

I know there is a lot of handwork in a Borrelli piece, but without a defined sillouete, what's the point?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Borrelli's do have rather signficant waist supression, and it's a three button rolled to the 2nd model.  The pics aren't terribly flattering though.

koji

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
And the high button stance doesn't create nice lines.
I disagree. I much prefer the high button stance. I do agree with Koji that this coat is not shown to advantage in that photo, however.

uriahheep

Reaction score
I agree with Thracozaag. Borrelli jackets are nicely shaped. Pictures can make them look like sack suits when draped over small dress forms.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis,Feb. 20 2005,10:08
And the high button stance doesn't create nice lines.
I disagree. Â I much prefer the high button stance. Â I do agree with Koji that this coat is not shown to advantage in that photo, however.
I meant that I do not prefer that the lapel roll to the top button. It would look much better if the lapel rolled to the middle button, like this:
garrickandersoncost29ts.th.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I meant that I do not prefer that the lapel roll to the top button. It would look much better if the lapel rolled to the middle button.
Oh, me too. I have railed against short lapels many times. Almost as bad as black suits.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think this jacket (or Borrelli) wants to be part of the "natural shoulder" tradition. In the '60s, you'd very rarely see open patch packets on any odd jackets from Brooks, Chipp, etc (blazers generally had flapped patch pockets with welt breast pockets while tweeds simply had flapped pockets and welt breast pockets). The older tradition used the open patch pockets on the odd sport jacket to differentiate it from city wear. In "Clothes and the Man", Gary Cooper wears a herringbone jacket with three open patch pockets (p.55) while Anthony Drexel Biddle wears a DB seersucker jacket with open patch pockets and a welt breast pocket (p. 105).

As to trouser color, the jacket has a herringbone pattern so I'd opt for lightweight wool twill or gabardine (as opposed to a plain weave). Either a taupe darker than the jacket (should have contrast-avoid mismatched suit) or medium gray twill. Blue shirt with tie that picks up the blue overplaid. Darker brown shoes.

If you are an EBay buyer, it's not that often you find a jacket in your size that you want to buy. Meaning that you may have to be lenient with styling details (vents, pockets), but of course you can't be lenient with fit.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I like the fabric up-close, I find it rather dull from afar. It depends on your skin tone and hair color, I suppose, although a shirt the appropriate color could remedy that.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you steamed out the wrinkles and pulled it in with a clip in back it would look better - mannequins tend to run 38r-40r and 44 and up look lousy without some work.
As to your what to wear question...

1. I THINK I know this exact fabric and it is ideal for spring summer.
2. If I were wearing it... I have a darker tan/taupe pair of linen trousers and a sky blue linen shirt that would look nice with it and some comfortable loafers... I'm in a hot climate and for August I need fabrics like this. Nice here means in my opinion since favorable reviews seem to draw waves of criticism around here lately... man are people just grumpy due to the weather or what?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your observations and ideas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads