1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on 2 eBay auctions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DShareef, Aug 10, 2006.

1. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

2. abc123

abc123 Senior member

IMO, the AEs look much nicer. Allen Edmonds also offers a recrafting service, which you may want to do at some point.

3. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

The AE's look to be in better shape, and IMO, they are a better shoe.

Regards

4. kronik

kronik Senior member

Definitely go for the AE.

5. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

Thanks for the replies. If the Bally's can be had for the opening bid, would you go for it?

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

For $13 including shipping, your downside is pretty limited.

7. Avers

Avers Well-Known Member

Go with AE, they look much better.

William

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Yes, but it may be $13 too much imo. The soles are showing way too much wear and need a resole asap. Also the uppers are quite worn in so they have taken the shape of the previous owner's foot (and not stored w/trees either). Cordovan is heavier, more durable and the Macneils show much less wear - best to go for those. I wouldn't touch the Ballys.

9. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

Agreed but are they worth the time? I've heard Bally makes a good shoe but have never seen them and I'm not sure of the quality of the "Continentals"

10. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

The AEs are certainly nicer. I may be a bit thrown by the sellers use of the term, "vintage." I was a bit concerned that they were a little older than I was looking for. Do you agree that this is the Macneil?

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

the recrafting service as told by others, does not include cleaning or relining of the insold.
    so even though they may make the upper leather look newer, you will still have the previous owner's DNA slime inside the shoe.

12. EL72

EL72 Senior member

The AEs are certainly nicer. I may be a bit thrown by the sellers use of the term, "vintage." I was a bit concerned that they were a little older than I was looking for. Do you agree that this is the Macneil?

Yes, it's a classic wingtip. They haven't changed much in the past hundred years +

13. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

hmmm, with respect to the AE auction, the first picture shows a balmoral wingtip, second picture shaows a blucher long-wingtip. the macneil is a blucher long-wingtip, but you might want to make sure which shoe is actually being offered.

14. EL72

EL72 Senior member

hmmm, with respect to the AE auction, the first picture shows a balmoral wingtip, second picture shaows a blucher long-wingtip. the macneil is a blucher long-wingtip, but you might want to make sure which shoe is actually being offered.

Good point. Hadn't even noticed that.

15. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

Good catch! I will ask. I find his description interesting, "IF YOU LIKE ALLEN EDMONDS SHOES AND WOULD LIKE A GOOD COMFORTABLE PAIR FOR OUTSIDE WORK OR TO JUST KICK AROUND IN,THAN THESE MAY BE FOR YOU."

Those don't look like the kind of shoes that I would wear while doing outside work.

16. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I wouldn't pay more than a dollar over the starting bids. Those are some tried dogs.

17. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

I wouldn't pay more than a dollar over the starting bids. Those are some tried dogs.

To which pair are you referring? I assume you speaking to the pair of Bally's. How about the AEs

18. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

I received a reply on the Macneil's. The shoes for auction are the second pair.

19. Red Herringbone

Red Herringbone Member

How about one more go?

I'm planning on buying my first pair of quality shoes, and I've decided that I want a burgandy full brogue oxford. I've narrowed it down to the following three, but I can only afford one (believe or not [​IMG] ). Of the three which do you believe has the least wear on the soles and any opoinions on the stlying would be greatly appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/299-Allen-Edmond...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALDEN-Leather-Wi...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polo-Ralph-Laure...QQcmdZViewItem

20. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

How about one more go?

I'm planning on buying my first pair of quality shoes, and I've decided that I want a burgandy full brogue oxford. I've narrowed it down to the following three, but I can only afford one (believe or not [​IMG] ). Of the three which do you believe has the least wear on the soles and any opoinions on the stlying would be greatly appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/299-Allen-Edmond...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALDEN-Leather-Wi...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polo-Ralph-Laure...QQcmdZViewItem

The polo's are the best made of the three (Crockett) but may turn out to be the most expensive also. I would try to get the Allen Edmonds if they stay that cheap as they are in good condition. If not, try and get the polo's for under $50. If you do that, you scored a classic pair of shoes that will outlast you. The Aldens, like most Aldens, are ugly and chunky. Quite frankly, both the AE's and the Polo's are shoes that you can be buried in (brown at a funeral [​IMG] ).