• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions of Prozac, I start tomorrow

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to know your happenings on Prozac as I am starting tomorrow after I quit on doing several similar for suicidal tendencies.

One doctor didn't want to recept me prozac as he told me it would do an anfetaminic effect on me, that is just what I am looking for, instead of being sleeping 14 hours per day and trapped at home for weeks.

Thank you

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend Prozac, or any form of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for that matter. While you may see temporary improvement from taking such psychotropic drugs, they are not going to address the actual root cause of your depression/suicidal tendencies. The cause, most likely, is a serotonin deficiency. SSRIs work by conserving existing brain serotonin supplies by keeping more serotonin in the synaptic gap between neurons. In essence, they recycle your brains existing low levels of serotonin, but do nothing to enhance it. Your brain produces serotonin (known as 5-hydroxytryptamine), by the conversion of the amino acid L-tryptophan to 5-hydroxytryptohan, which in turn is metabolized by the liver into serotonin. There are numerous reasons why your body may not be getting enough of these amino acids, but in any case, the best way to increase your brains supply of serotonin is by actually taking a supplement containing this amino acid that is the body's direct metabolic precursor to serotonin itself. This supplement would be 5- hydroxytryptophan (5-htp). There have been numerous trials and studies conducted on the effect of taking this supplement for depression, insomnia, fibromyalgia, and even obesity. Most of these studies have been conducted in Europe (most notably by Professor Federigo Sicuteri at the University of Florence), where natural remedies and herbal supplements aren't considered taboo, as they usually are here in America. Interestingly, after conducting a series of double blind studies, those taking 5-htp saw a marked improvement in their mood and behavior, more so than those taking commonly prescribed SSRIs. This is all referenced by Dr. Michael Murray in his book on 5-htp, if you are interested further. The reason we don't hear much about this supplement is most likely due to the fact that it is a naturally occurring substance found in nature...a plant extract in fact. You can't patent nature, at least not yet. Therefore, the pharmaceutical industry won't spend the millions of dollars necessary for effective trials and studies of the drug in order for it to be considered a viable alternative to modern antidepressants. There's just no money in it. Aside from the fact that taking such a supplement will actually address the root cause of your condition, rather than just put a band aid on the symptoms, taking such a supplement is a much safer alternative than an SSRI, with little to no side effects. It is also considerably cheaper, with no prescription necessary, as 5-htp can commonly be found over the counter at any health market or pharmacy. I also notice you say you sleep 14 hours a day? I am willing to bet that even after those 14 hours you probably still feel tired. This is most likely due to the quality of your sleep, not the quantity. Another thing that 5-htp helps with is sleep. Serotonin is the precursor to melatonin which is involved in sleep cycles. In short, by having more melatonin available you will experience more cycling and spend more time in the restorative, REM, stage, and Non REM deep sleep stages 3 and 4. You will find yourself dreaming more and feeling much more refreshed with less time spent asleep. Here is a useful article comparing 5-htp to Prozac. http://drgarye.com/Portals/3d62157d-...c21a9/5HTP.pdf Anyway, just thought I'd offer up a contrary opinion. Maybe run it by your doc and see what he thinks, although I'm sure he'd be much happier writing you a script for Prozac then telling you to find a "natural" way of curing yourself.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't medical advice and I don't even play one on TV... I've taken several different meds for a major depression from which I was suffering. Wellbutrin has far more of a stimulant effect and it doesn't affect your libido or ability to orgasm. Also reduces cravings. Cheap if you get the generic version. Prozac made me apathetic to everything - 2 Parking tickets in one day? Big deal. Also big carbo cravings. Have a Snicker's Bar in a few weeks, you'll like it. Hell, have three, they're goooooooood. No depression feelings though, so in that sense it helped. If you're in a relationship, the SSRIs and their effect on sexual desire and ability to climax can really mess up a relationship. Then again, it might affect you completely differently. They do make you feel better and that's the important thing. They affect people in different ways. Kudos for seeking help. Keep in contact with your doctor and let him know if you're not feeling better.

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I would not recommend Prozac, or any form of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for that matter. While you may see temporary improvement from taking such psychotropic drugs, they are not going to address the actual root cause of your depression/suicidal tendencies. The cause, most likely, is a serotonin deficiency. SSRIs work by conserving existing brain serotonin supplies by keeping more serotonin in the synaptic gap between neurons. In essence, they recycle your brains existing low levels of serotonin, but do nothing to enhance it.

Your brain produces serotonin (known as 5-hydroxytryptamine), by the conversion of the amino acid L-tryptophan to 5-hydroxytryptohan, which in turn is metabolized by the liver into serotonin. There are numerous reasons why your body may not be getting enough of these amino acids, but in any case, the best way to increase your brains supply of serotonin is by actually taking a supplement containing this amino acid that is the body's direct metabolic precursor to serotonin itself. This supplement would be 5- hydroxytryptophan (5-htp).

There have been numerous trials and studies conducted on the effect of taking this supplement for depression, insomnia, fibromyalgia, and even obesity. Most of these studies have been conducted in Europe (most notably by Professor Federigo Sicuteri at the University of Florence), where natural remedies and herbal supplements aren't considered taboo, as they usually are here in America. Interestingly, after conducting a series of double blind studies, those taking 5-htp saw a marked improvement in their mood and behavior, more so than those taking commonly prescribed SSRIs. This is all referenced by Dr. Michael Murray in his book on 5-htp, if you are interested further.

The reason we don't hear much about this supplement is most likely due to the fact that it is a naturally occurring substance found in nature...a plant extract in fact. You can't patent nature, at least not yet. Therefore, the pharmaceutical industry won't spend the millions of dollars necessary for effective trials and studies of the drug in order for it to be considered a viable alternative to modern antidepressants. There's just no money in it.

Aside from the fact that taking such a supplement will actually address the root cause of your condition, rather than just put a band aid on the symptoms, taking such a supplement is a much safer alternative than an SSRI, with little to no side effects. It is also considerably cheaper, with no prescription necessary, as 5-htp can commonly be found over the counter at any health market or pharmacy.

I also notice you say you sleep 14 hours a day? I am willing to bet that even after those 14 hours you probably still feel tired. This is most likely due to the quality of your sleep, not the quantity. Another thing that 5-htp helps with is sleep. Serotonin is the precursor to melatonin which is involved in sleep cycles. In short, by having more melatonin available you will experience more cycling and spend more time in the restorative, REM, stage, and Non REM deep sleep stages 3 and 4. You will find yourself dreaming more and feeling much more refreshed with less time spent asleep.

Here is a useful article comparing 5-htp to Prozac.

http://drgarye.com/Portals/3d62157d-...c21a9/5HTP.pdf

Anyway, just thought I'd offer up a contrary opinion. Maybe run it by your doc and see what he thinks, although I'm sure he'd be much happier writing you a script for Prozac then telling you to find a "natural" way of curing yourself.

Thank you.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reaction people have to any of these anti depressants varies greatly. I've seen amazing results in my sister after she lost her daughter to cancer and my late mother who suffered for decades from depression. In both cases medication was better than any other therapy. Yet I also know people who had uncomfortable side effects like diarrhea and had to change.

It most often takes a while to find the right drug and adjust the right dose that works for you. It may mean trying many different related ( Zoloft, Celexea, etc.) but different drugs over time. This is where you as a patient need to monitor things carefully and check in with your DR on a regular basis until its right. If you have side effects, speak up. There are other options. If your Dr doesn't respond, then find another one. I think this area is where you need to assert yourself to get the best results.

Good luck.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would not recommend Prozac, or any form of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for that matter. While you may see temporary improvement from taking such psychotropic drugs, they are not going to address the actual root cause of your depression/suicidal tendencies. The cause, most likely, is a serotonin deficiency. SSRIs work by conserving existing brain serotonin supplies by keeping more serotonin in the synaptic gap between neurons. In essence, they recycle your brains existing low levels of serotonin, but do nothing to enhance it.

Your brain produces serotonin (known as 5-hydroxytryptamine), by the conversion of the amino acid L-tryptophan to 5-hydroxytryptohan, which in turn is metabolized by the liver into serotonin. There are numerous reasons why your body may not be getting enough of these amino acids, but in any case, the best way to increase your brains supply of serotonin is by actually taking a supplement containing this amino acid that is the body's direct metabolic precursor to serotonin itself. This supplement would be 5- hydroxytryptophan (5-htp).

There have been numerous trials and studies conducted on the effect of taking this supplement for depression, insomnia, fibromyalgia, and even obesity. Most of these studies have been conducted in Europe (most notably by Professor Federigo Sicuteri at the University of Florence), where natural remedies and herbal supplements aren't considered taboo, as they usually are here in America. Interestingly, after conducting a series of double blind studies, those taking 5-htp saw a marked improvement in their mood and behavior, more so than those taking commonly prescribed SSRIs. This is all referenced by Dr. Michael Murray in his book on 5-htp, if you are interested further.

The reason we don't hear much about this supplement is most likely due to the fact that it is a naturally occurring substance found in nature...a plant extract in fact. You can't patent nature, at least not yet. Therefore, the pharmaceutical industry won't spend the millions of dollars necessary for effective trials and studies of the drug in order for it to be considered a viable alternative to modern antidepressants. There's just no money in it.

Aside from the fact that taking such a supplement will actually address the root cause of your condition, rather than just put a band aid on the symptoms, taking such a supplement is a much safer alternative than an SSRI, with little to no side effects. It is also considerably cheaper, with no prescription necessary, as 5-htp can commonly be found over the counter at any health market or pharmacy.

I also notice you say you sleep 14 hours a day? I am willing to bet that even after those 14 hours you probably still feel tired. This is most likely due to the quality of your sleep, not the quantity. Another thing that 5-htp helps with is sleep. Serotonin is the precursor to melatonin which is involved in sleep cycles. In short, by having more melatonin available you will experience more cycling and spend more time in the restorative, REM, stage, and Non REM deep sleep stages 3 and 4. You will find yourself dreaming more and feeling much more refreshed with less time spent asleep.

Anyway, just thought I'd offer up a contrary opinion. Maybe run it by your doc and see what he thinks, although I'm sure he'd be much happier writing you a script for Prozac then telling you to find a "natural" way of curing yourself.

i highly doubt most doctors would compromise the safety or wellbeing of his patient just so he can make a few extra bucks.

anyways, thanks for the reading

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wasn't my intention to imply that the doctors are knowingly putting their patient's wellbeing at risk for the sake of a few bucks. The point I am trying to make is that most conventionally trained doctors aren't taught to do otherwise. They are trained in the interactions, and reactions, of pharmacological drugs on the body. However, speak to most GPs and psychiatrists today and see how extensive their knowledge is on diet and nutrition. It's not the doctor's intention to do any harm, they really just don't know any better.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I experienced a serious decline in sex drive when I was on Prozac. Would not recommend.

Tago Mago

Reaction score
n'thing the sex drive issue for Prozac. I also noticed I was starting to not really care about anything anymore when I was on it. I switched over to a generic form of Wellbutrin a couple months ago and haven't really experienced any side effects yet. Works way better on my depression than Prozac did too.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I experienced a serious decline in sex drive when I was on Prozac. Would not recommend.

Same with Zoloft. Doctor didn't even warn me.
ffffuuuu.gif
Do your research, dude.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have taken SSRI anti-depressants in the past (although not Prozac specifically) and I found the sexual side effects too much to take. If I could get an erection at all it would be weak and I'd take about an hour to reach a crappy climax. And that was just during very focused solo activity. I would often totally fail when with an actual woman. I can't even recall any effects on my mood, good or bad. When I tried to quit them the withdrawal effects were nightmarish. Never again.

CCAurora

Reaction score
Rule of thumb: when suffering from any ailment, find out what your are deficient in that is causing this ailment and give it to yourself. That thing is NEVER a drug. Nobody has ever suffered from a "Prozac deficiency." Its like duct-taping a baby's mouth to silence him and saying "ok, I got the little guy to stop crying."

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CCAurora
Rule of thumb: when suffering from any ailment, find out what your are deficient in that is causing this ailment and give it to yourself. That thing is NEVER a drug. Nobody has ever suffered from a "Prozac deficiency." Its like duct-taping a baby's mouth to silence him and saying "ok, I got the little guy to stop crying."

Essentially summarized my post.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the nice reply, but I also did 5htp, melatonine, litium and tons or natural things, they helped me a little but not from my deep depression. I sleeped the same by the way. I have been also studing those themes for myself , as I study psichology.

I also quit sertraline last week, not sure if you're familiar with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads