• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions needed -- BB vs TAT MTM

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Your friend has the following measurements and is looking to buy a MTM suit:

Height: 5'11
Weight: 175
Chest: 43 inches
Waist: 32 inches
Shoulder bone to bone front: 17 1/2
Shoulder bone to bone back: 18
Neck: 15/12 inches
Frame: Slight (small joints but broad shoulders)
Slim Face
Athletic build; muscular but not a large man

Do you go Brooks Brothers MTM (Fitzgerald)

Or the TAT house cut MTM?

What would you recommend to this person?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
BB.

Not enough experience for MTM. Too many variables to watch out for.

Good point. Very true.

Do you believe the TAT measurement overview on their website is sufficient?

Keeping in mind that said friend is of the understanding that his mtm suit might need to be tweaked by a tailor when it arrives.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your 'friend', eh?
air_quotes.jpg

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
your 'friend', eh?

air_quotes.jpg

I've openly asked for advice for myself dozens of times on this forum.

Anyway, what do you think? What would your advice be?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
What is your friend's profession or pastime, and where does he live?

- B

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What is your friend's profession or pastime, and where does he live?

- B

Business owner

Lives in Boston MA (back bay)

Is 35 years old

Loud, energetic, athletic -- outgoing

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
He should pick the style that he likes, but other than that, Brooks makes sense just from the standpoint of convenience.

Having a bricks and mortar store that can do after-delivery alterations seems like a good idea for someone who has a friend asking whether to get BB or TaT. Brooks is within walking distance.

- B

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Good point. Very true. Do you believe the TAT measurement overview on their website is sufficient? Keeping in mind that said friend is of the understanding that his mtm suit might need to be tweaked by a tailor when it arrives.
No information can make up for the lack of suit buying experience. He needs to get some suits, make some mistakes, know what he REALLY likes, then come back for MTM or bespoke. The other thing with BB is the convenience of returns if he changes his mind.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
He should pick the style that he likes, but other than that, Brooks makes sense just from the standpoint of convenience.

Having a bricks and mortar store that can do after-delivery alterations seems like a good idea for someone who has a friend asking whether to get BB or TaT. Brooks is within walking distance.

- B

Great points. Thank you.

The only advntage of tat is the forward look. Loves it. To me BB is a little bland.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
No information can make up for the lack of suit buying experience.

He needs to get some suits, make some mistakes, know what he REALLY likes, then come back for MTM or bespoke.

The other thing with BB is the convenience of returns if he changes his mind.

You're right.

I've said something along those lines, and he has been pretty receptive to the advice. He thinks Brooks is a tad "bland". Likes the TAT look, I guess.

I did tell him that he'd prob have to have his suit "tweaked" by a tailor if he went TAT. Seemed cool with it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Great points. Thank you.

The only advntage of tat is the forward look. Loves it. To me BB is a little bland.

If he's an extrovert, he can tart his BB suit up with accessories and shirts.

No amount of verve or modishness in the style of a suit will save it from mediocrity if a certain minimum level of fit, which is possible even with RTW, is achieved.

To my eye, the TaT fits that I have seen only work for guys who are assurred in that style and who have access to a good alterations tailor.

- B

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No amount of verve or modishness in the style of a suit will save it from mediocrity if a certain minimum level of fit, which is possible even with RTW, is achieved.

To my eye, the TaT fits that I have seen only work for guys who are assurred in that style and who have access to a good alterations tailor.

- B

Who are you and what have you done with vox? I didn't sense an ounce of snark in any of the replies to this query.

OP-In my mind you have two polar opposites here. The fashion fwd TaT, and your classic conservative American BB. if your buddy can be described as skinny, and he likes the look, and wears the look, TaT is nice, provided you have a good local alterations guy. If any of the above criteria are answered with "no", then I'd stick with BB for the reasons the poster who hacked vox's account points out.
teacha.gif

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score

- B

Thank you for your advice. I will advice brooks mtm in the fitzgerald cut. It is my understanding that my buddy was told he had the choice of over 30 fabrics.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its not really MTM

its more like cut to order.

they have stock of the fabrics and just cut you a suit out of the fabric you chose in your size. ITs not like they make a jacket special for your measurements/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads