Opinions-Daytime Wedding-Groom Attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kitano, Sep 21, 2006.

1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Sator: on the other hand, sometimes new people come here -- normal guys, not obsessives like us -- and all they want is good advice on what to wear to their wedding. But what they get instead is a treatise on formal day wear (not pointing fingers; I am guilty of this myself) when they have no idea of or intention to wear striped pants, a morning coat, and buff linen DB vest and find the whole idea preposterous.

Fair enough Manton, but the fact is any ettiquitte book the guy reads or any bridal magazine his finacee reads essentially will tell him the exact same thing. It's just the die-hards like us that will start to pick on the details!

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

As an aside, there is nothing that says that your groomsmen have to match you, or each other. In fact, I think everyone would look better if they didn't.

Isn't it traditional for the best man and groomsmen to somewhat match the groom? I believe legend has it they are all supposed to match in case someone has placed a curse on the groom on his wedding day, with all the men matching the evil spirits will be confused as to whom the groom actually is....(cue spooky music)

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I'm leaning towards a very nice tan colored suit for me and my groomsmen (only 2) instead of a tradional tux. I noticed there is a Duncan Quinn shop that opened in L.A and since I live in San Diego, I would love to sport one of his suits.

Would my suit color be suitable for this type of wedding?

The Duncan Quinn store is small, but nice. If you go with a MTM from them they have some great fabric books to choose from like Dormeuil, Zegna etc. I'm also not keen on the tan suit idea, I think the suggestions for a dark grey is a good one, maybe a lighter gray for the groomsmen. And there are plenty of grey fabrics with a sheen, but not full sharkskin, that will add some personality to the gray.

4. Sator

Sator Senior member

Tough to justify a bespoke morning coat if you're marrying early in life when your body will continue to change. You may well never wear it again.

Much easier to justify a stroller for a middle age marriage because you'll have it for funerals.

Again, if this were a women's fashion forum do you think you will hear talk of "oh, it's such a waste that you only ever wear your white wedding dress once, so let's all save money and just wear an ordinary Laura Ashley dress".

Also remember that your bespoke morning coat is likely to be grey and less suitable for funerals. But do brides care about the fact that their wedding dresses can't be worn to funerals???

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Definitely a stroller.
    Don't say "stroller" - you might scare him off. The poor guy hasn't even had a chance to get used to the concept of being married yet.
    [​IMG]

6. Sator

Sator Senior member

Sator: on the other hand, sometimes new people come here -- normal guys, not obsessives like us -- and all they want is good advice on what to wear to their wedding. But what they get instead is a treatise on formal day wear (not pointing fingers; I am guilty of this myself) when they have no idea of or intention to wear striped pants, a morning coat, and buff linen DB vest and find the whole idea preposterous. It's like asking for a recommendation of a decent bistro on the East Side and being told "Daniel." Sort of.

I suppose it is incumbent on us to raise the possibilty of formal and semi-formal day wear, but if in the end kitano is not induced to share in our mania, then we might as well accept that and help the guy improve his appearance a little within the confines of what is customary these days. One must after all live in one's time.

Point taken Manton.

You will surely understand that it is difficult to resist the temptation to try to inspire our fellow forum members to rise to the grand occasion and to match our brides, to shine brighter than we had ever dreamt imaginable - and above all to infuse courage to refuse to be an a priori satorial second place on the Big Day. Is that not perchance a noble and even necessary thing?

Do you not also think that if this were a women's fashion forum one would imagine a significant proportion of the posts might be taken up by discussions of wedding attire (for the bridesmaids, as well as the bride) and that it would raise passionate, heated discusssion. So - guys! - where is the passionate, heated discussion when it comes to dressing the groom? Would it not be a tragedy if we were only to ever become passionate when discussing business attire???

So in other words, a wedding is surely the moment to a wax lyrical about the joys of a function at 'Daniel' rather than recommending that cheap bistro on the East Side?

7. Sator

Sator Senior member

May I ask those of you who know, how much your wife's bridal dress cost? Was it is more or less than the price of a bespoke suit?

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I don't really know, but I can say with some certainty that it was less than 4 large.

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Don't say "stroller" - you might scare him off. The poor guy hasn't even had a chance to get used to the concept of being married yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

On the subject of "not scaring the poor guy" I do want to make it very clear for the groom that it is possible to rent very nice formalwear for his wedding, and he does not need to buy a bespoke stroller or cutaway!

10. Charley

Charley Senior member

An interesting feature about this morning suit is the length.

[​IMG]

It seems to be a bit shorter than what I've seen in current styles. This one seems to stop at about 3" or 4" above the knee. And I like it much better than the ones that seem to stop at about the knee crease on the back of the leg. In addidtion, this one illustrated would seem to have a notch lapel. While I would prefer the peak lapel personally, it is an interesting reference that the notch was acceptable.

Also, note that there is just the hint of a break in the front of the trousers. With the hem cut to slant and drop a bit lower at the boot heel. Very trim look.

11. Sator

Sator Senior member

An interesting feature about this morning suit is the length. [​IMG] It seems to be a bit shorter than what I've seen in current styles. This one seems to stop at about 3" or 4" above the knee. And I like it much better than the ones that seem to stop at about the knee crease on the back of the leg. In addidtion, this one illustrated would seem to have a notch lapel. While I would prefer the peak lapel personally, it is an interesting reference that the notch was acceptable. Also, note that there is just the hint of a break in the front of the trousers. With the hem cut to slant and drop a bit lower at the boot heel. Very trim look.
    May I suggest you click on the following image to enlarge it rather than basing judgement on the thumbnail. Then you will see that this coat most definitely has peaked lapels: [​IMG] That said you are quite right to point out that you do see morning coats with notched lapels in the Victorian and early Edwardian periods. The reason is that the morning coat was half dress up until early Edwardian times and thus a more casual form of dress. That it is called a morning coat has more to do with the fact that men commonly wore it to to go riding as part of their morning exercise. I have read things in which people expressed horror when gentlemen first started to wear them on occasions when full dress was required and hence a frock coat (DB with peaked lapels) was de rigeur. I guess it was like turning up to a business meeting wearing your track suit after a morning jog. So naturally, it is quite understandable that morning coats (also called riding coats) often did have the less formal combination of notched lapels to match the single breasted construction. During the Edwardian era morning coats became gradually more widely accepted as day time full dress until it eventually caused the final demise of the frock coat (a sad moment in history for the frock coat was a wonderfully elegant garment if there ever was one). From that point on, peaked lapels became a quintessential feature of the morning coat. Here is a fine example dating from the 1890's of a gentleman wearing a morning coat with notched lapels: [​IMG] Lengths of coats with a waist seam is an interesting subject in its own right. They went up and down like a yo-yo according to fashion during the 19th century. Mostly, it was considered correct to have them reach to just above the knee, but even shorter ones were fashionable during some periods. With an overcoat, the correct length was to cut so it reached below the knees. You are right, excessive length in the skirt causes it to become heavy and inhibits the flair of the skirt that contributes so much to the coat's hourglass silhouette, thus exacerbating the shapelessness of waisted coasts in our age. All this only contributes further to the reduced popularity of these forms. I am thoroughly convinced that we only wear corrupted forms of the true elegance inherent within the original form of much formal wear.

12. Charley

Charley Senior member

I had expanded the size and looked at the larger view. Perhaps it is considered a peak lapel. However, because of the diminutive size, I viewed it as simply an upturned notch. I would expect a normal peak lapel to exhibit the inheritance from the coats which were made for the lapels to function and to button high under the throat. So that the peaks (and the lapel) were substantially wider at the gorge than the collar. Perhaps the illustrated style features a somewhat transitional style.

13. SuitGuy24

SuitGuy24 Well-Known Member

Isn't it traditional for the best man and groomsmen to somewhat match the groom? I believe legend has it they are all supposed to match in case someone has placed a curse on the groom on his wedding day, with all the men matching the evil spirits will be confused as to whom the groom actually is....(cue spooky music)

Ok, I am in a wedding party in late October. So does this mean that if we don't all match the groom will wake up on the wedding day with boils all over his body or might sprout donkey ears and a tail while he's saying the vows?[​IMG]

14. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Ok, I am in a wedding party in late October. So does this mean that if we don't all match the groom will wake up on the wedding day with boils all over his body or might sprout donkey ears and a tail while he's saying the vows?[​IMG]

Well, there's another reason to wear a nice, grey stroller...they coordinate well with those pesky donkey ears that sometimes grow on you when you are cursed on your wedding day!

(I think you've been reading too many Stephen King books, SuitGuy!)

15. Jared

Jared Senior member

(Assuming this thread has completely departed from specific advice and moved on to theory and metatheory...)

Given that the Old Ways are nearly abandoned - as they have been so many times before - can we envisage a future that would at least be preferrable than the current trend of dropping into ones' wedding after a day of work?

How about the groom in an all-white lounge suit? There is ancient precedent, as well as contemporary in the US Navy, and US Marines until 2000. It is egalitarian, if nothing else. [​IMG]