• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions Archimede Vs. Hamilton

kali77

Reaction score
Both of these are about the same price. Both are 42mm and both automatic. I believe the Hamilton uses the Valjoux 7750 movement and the Archimede uses the Eta 2824-2 movement. From what I have read both are good movements. If I go with the Hamilton I will switch the band to a nice leather band. The watch will be worn as my daily driver. I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to these two unless I decide to splurge a little and step up to the No logo Stowa Airman. All opinions and comments welcome. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction. This will be my first real decent watch besides some vintage pieces I have picked up on ebay for cheap.

7919-a16-15.jpg

P10538937.jpg

I am leaning towards the Hamilton since it is on sale, and then making the Archimede my next watch purchase.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Purely as a subjective, aesthetic matter, I prefer the simplicity of the Archimede to the busier, more cluttered look of the Hamilton.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kali77
I am leaning towards the Hamilton since it is on sale, and then making the Archimede my next watch purchase.

Get both!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Nice to see my recommendations get realized too.
laugh.gif

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the Hamilton a lot more.

There are much better B Uhr replicas than the Archimede so it just ends up looking lame.

The Hamilton design is similar to many chronos but it's not a design that I associate with any one brand.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian

There are much better B Uhr replicas than the Archimede so it just ends up looking lame.

Lame? Which B Uhr replicas do you prefer at that price point?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
smile.gif
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian

The Hamilton design is similar to many chronos but it's not a design that I associate with any one brand.

Damn, I hate finding out that my tastes are lame!
smile.gif

ENT

Reaction score
If you really prefer the Stowa (I do too) to the Archimede and Hamilton, I'd save up and buy that one. There's no sense in buying a consolation watch that won't totally satisfy you.

chas

Reaction score
I recently bought this Hamilton Jazzmaster and love it:

H32515555.jpg

I don't have experience with the Archimede but as mentioned above, for a few hundred dollars more the Stowa is a really nice piece.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Hamilton. Are you considering the one with the brown face?

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save up and get a Stowa.

If not, Archimede is a real bang for the buck; clean dial, sapphire sandwich, ETA 2824 workhorse, oversized diamond crown.

The two watches are apples and oranges though. While both are military watches, the Archimede is strictly an aviator watch, with its design dating back to the Luftwaffe of WWII. Most people buy these watches due to their interest in pilot/aviator watches in general and the heritage of German B-Uhrs (observer's watches). One of the major issues I have with Archimede is its lack of heritage. Most original B-Uhrs were created by Lange, IWC, Stowa, and Laco. Archimede, being only a subsidiary of a German watch company called Limes, is not one of the original makers.

jc138

Reaction score
I vote for the Hamilton. I really like that watch.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have got this watch, it is a Beobachtungsuhr replica by one of the original makers of b- uhren (stowa, laco, wempe, lange & sohne, IWC)
this is the Laco 42 mm pilotwatch on the original Laco pilot strap. They make a 55 mm edition too, that is as close as you can get to the original B-uhren.
This one has got the same eta movement as the Archimede, but has more pedigree, no date, no logo, special crown.
This one is made on special request by a Dutch watch forum it is nr 12 of 15.
However since our series was made, and well received, they started to offer no logo no date watches for sale, just like Stowa did after our previous limited edition request for a no logo no date airman with onion crown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads