• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions about Fashion Films

Do fashion films influence the way you feel about a brand?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Nina Pe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Would someone be interested to share their thoughts on fashion films (used in marketing) with me? I am conducting Fashion Film related research for my Bachelor's degree and would love to hear about your opinions and experiences. You can also join this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1280607481987595/

If you are unfamiliar with the topic here are some examples from Amsterdam based Scotch & Soda:

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

And here are some questions you might want to answer:

- What do you think about fashion films?
- In the past, how did you feel when you were watching a fashion film? (Emotions and aspirations)
- How did it change your perception of the brand? E.g. did you feel more positive or negative? Why do you think you felt that way?
- What type of fashion films you prefer? (documentary, lookbook etc.) Examples here https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/how-to-create-artistic-fashion-videos/

If you have any other thoughts regarding and would like to share, please feel free! Thanks a lot in advance and I would be so grateful if someone could share their insights with me to help me out!

xx,
Nina

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
much prefer the fashion in films. such as "The 5th Element", 50's films, "Judge Dredd", Hitchcock films, Encino Man,etc.

Clothing in films can propose a fictional trend, or provide a time capsule for generations to go back and reflect on.

Not sure if artsy commercials can carry the same weight.

Fashion, moreover..... Films that influence fashion. emerge from a groundswell in popular culture. When a portion of a generation adopts an aesthetic which provides a narrative they identify with at a particular moment in time.

No matter how well the cameraman works, how good the editor is, they will remain a brands ideal of what they want people to wear. -their clothes.
When the opposite is true. (for the most part)
the consumers themselves dictate what is hot. and designers are forever playing catch up. Trying to get a piece of the consumer pie.

So no, a short black and white (or filtered) film. with an effeminate male lead, hungry looking chick. in a beautifully shot scene backed by Hipsters clapping and making "Whoop" sounds while playing a Tamourine. is not going to influence in any way what i wear. in fact it makes me sick.

People emulate what they admire. and nobody in their right mind can want to emulate a male model dressed in clothes he did not choose himself.

such things devalue a brand in my eyes. it's the "Be a leader, not a follower" mentality. brands are not leading. they are forcing repackaged counterfeit style on to the masses through marketing.- which is failing.

Here's a commercial series for you: pick a guy, who has his own style. has "Swag". knows what he likes. and is set in his ways. that works for him. film a commercial about him. his attitude to facing the day in what he wears. why he wears what he does. and what he wears? *insert brand here* .

I honestly wish you the best with your degree. your post was sincere.

chalk me up for the negative. not at you. but the fashion industry itself. exaggerated in it's marketing.

-A Leader.

Last edited:

Nina Pe

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you very much for your comment, the idea is to express your thoughts in the most sincere way be them positive or negative, therefore your contribution is very useful.
The thoughts presented are very insightful and interesting, especially in the light of gender differentiation.

You state that "such things devalue a brand in my eyes" – if you don't mind me asking a few follow up questions – do you recall a moment in the past where you concretely changed your perception of a fashion brand (be it maison, mainstream or a start-up) because of a branded fashion film you saw? Or do you avoid certain brands because of this approach to advertising?

You also suggest "pick a guy, who has his own style. has "Swag". knows what he likes. and is set in his ways. that works for him. film a commercial about him." Do you feel that similar approach to fashion films in the branded content side would work better through similar approach as this documentary film http://copenhagenfashionfilm.dk/2016/programme/advanced-style/ by Lina Plioplyte?

Thank you very much.

Best,
Nina

classicthrifter

Reaction score
@Thrift Vader , I can't remember if you're a fan of RL or not. Have you seen the Avicii videos? I was just watching for the music and basically realized it was a huge RL ad, very similar to the fashion films above. :)

Denim and Supply:

0.jpg

and more...
0.jpg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you very much for your comment, the idea is to express your thoughts in the most sincere way be them positive or negative, therefore your contribution is very useful.
The thoughts presented are very insightful and interesting, especially in the light of gender differentiation.

You state that "such things devalue a brand in my eyes" – if you don't mind me asking a few follow up questions – do you recall a moment in the past where you concretely changed your perception of a fashion brand (be it maison, mainstream or a start-up) because of a branded fashion film you saw? Or do you avoid certain brands because of this approach to advertising?

You also suggest "pick a guy, who has his own style. has "Swag". knows what he likes. and is set in his ways. that works for him. film a commercial about him." Do you feel that similar approach to fashion films in the branded content side would work better through similar approach as this documentary film http://copenhagenfashionfilm.dk/2016/programme/advanced-style/ by Lina Plioplyte?

Thank you very much.

Best,
Nina

I changed my perception of Brands with the advent of "Layering".
it light the light for me. designers have absolutely no idea what style is. sounds dumb. until you consider that they try so hard to be seen, so hard to be outlandish or unique. that they move beyond what style is.

Yes, Documentary style short films about different individuals telling their story. and why they wear what they do. from outside influences, to personal psychology would resonate with consumers.

anytime.

Vader.

Avably

Reaction score
Hi guys,
hi..fashion ads or movies are so inspire-able..i never feel bore while watching fashion movies
Would someone be interested to share their thoughts on fashion films (used in marketing) with me? I am conducting Fashion Film related research for my Bachelor's degree and would love to hear about your opinions and experiences. You can also join this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1280607481987595/

If you are unfamiliar with the topic here are some examples from Amsterdam based Scotch & Soda:

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

And here are some questions you might want to answer:

- What do you think about fashion films?
- In the past, how did you feel when you were watching a fashion film? (Emotions and aspirations)
- How did it change your perception of the brand? E.g. did you feel more positive or negative? Why do you think you felt that way?
- What type of fashion films you prefer? (documentary, lookbook etc.) Examples here https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/how-to-create-artistic-fashion-videos/

If you have any other thoughts regarding and would like to share, please feel free! Thanks a lot in advance and I would be so grateful if someone could share their insights with me to help me out!

xx,
Nina

mistersparkle

Reaction score
A key thing one has to remember is that the consumer isn't completely stupid. We catch on to things and know when we're being pandered to. Fashion films might have been aspiration when Calvin Klein first started with them, but now many of them are cookie cutter.

I was transiting through Heathrow a year or two ago and the Dior Sauvage commercial with Johnny Depp kept on looping on a big screen. It was horribly cliched and none of it made any sense. It actually created a negative image of the brand for me, so if anyone were to tell me about the cologne, the first thing in my mind would be, "oh the one with the dumb desert commercial?"

Contrast that to rag & bone's commercial featuring Mikhail Baryshnikov:

The music is good, the dancing is interesting, and the editing is tight. It's a refreshing commercial that breaks from the ordinary and puts rag & bone in good light because they're putting out cool ****. And I don't feel like rag & bone is trying too hard to present an image to me.

Brand marketing has changed. The consumer seeks authenticity and if you're making a fashion film just because that's in marketing 101, it's not going to work. We'll know it's fake or weak and reject it.

Nina Pe

Reaction score
A key thing one has to remember is that the consumer isn't completely stupid. We catch on to things and know when we're being pandered to. Fashion films might have been aspiration when Calvin Klein first started with them, but now many of them are cookie cutter.

I was transiting through Heathrow a year or two ago and the Dior Sauvage commercial with Johnny Depp kept on looping on a big screen. It was horribly cliched and none of it made any sense. It actually created a negative image of the brand for me, so if anyone were to tell me about the cologne, the first thing in my mind would be, "oh the one with the dumb desert commercial?"

Contrast that to rag & bone's commercial featuring Mikhail Baryshnikov:

The music is good, the dancing is interesting, and the editing is tight. It's a refreshing commercial that breaks from the ordinary and puts rag & bone in good light because they're putting out cool ****. And I don't feel like rag & bone is trying too hard to present an image to me.

Brand marketing has changed. The consumer seeks authenticity and if you're making a fashion film just because that's in marketing 101, it's not going to work. We'll know it's fake or weak and reject it.

Hi,

Thank you for your response, the insights are appreciated. I take that you refer to being inspired in respect to personal style, how do you feel about the lifestyle aspects presented in many commercial advertisements? For example fashion films like these

Or if the film captures sceneries or objects you feel inspired of, how does it influence your experience? Also, in contrast to more abstract fashion films, how do you feel about them compared to narrative films?

Lastly, I would be curious to hear opinions on how do we differentiate artistic from commercial in our perception?

Best,
Nina

mistersparkle

Reaction score
The Adidas Spezial S/S15 video is a bore. No one focuses for 4 minutes on pretty visuals unless they're stoned.

The other videos are more like documentaries and would be interesting if the viewer is invested in the subject matter. The last Seija one is trying too hard to be like a commercial for me and there's no educational content from it. I enjoyed this Red Wing factory tour because it was actually more informative:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads