1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opinions about Donald J Pliner

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mano, Nov 27, 2004.

1. mano

mano Senior Member

I just bought a pair of Donald J. Pliner oxfords on sale and am wondering about people's opinion of their quality. The shoe style is the Alon. They fit well but I've never heard of them. I did a Style Forum and an Ask Andy search and found little info.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Pliners are cool. I have three pairs and my wife has two. They are not made well, unfortunately. But they are cool.

3. mano

mano Senior Member

John, thanks for the input about DJP being "cool". At 15 years your senior, I'm not quite old enough to be your father, but with a 16 year-old daughter who has a remarkable eye for fashion (we spent part of yesterday in NYC around the fashion area in SoHo), I can appreciate what you mean.

I like the styling of these DJP as I tend to favor Italian cut suits, but I'm also very interested in your observation about them not being well made. I bought them for $58 at Saks Off 5th and would have no problem returning them.

4. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior Member

i own a couple pair of DJP as well, and although they will not last you til your daughter graduates college, i would say that if you like them they are a good deal at $58. i have to admit that i have had mine a few years now and if you keep up with polishing they will not fall apart on you.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

DJP shoes are well-made enough that they are worth taking a good deal on. I concur, "cool," is a fitting word for them. Their quality is probably in the lower-middle shoe quality bracket, which is good in terms of what most of America is wearing. Secondly, for the price range (around the same as Kenneth Cole, Bacco Bucci, et al) they are ahead of the curve, offering sleeker, much less clunky shoes (although still with a squared toe).

6. mano

mano Senior Member

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. I'd welcome more if anyone else has an opinion.

They are, indeed, cool looking shoes and they're also comfortable. At this point in my shoe buying life, I don't know that I'd even pay $58 for a pair of Cole Haan's, even though I have 4-5 pair and am satisfied with them. At that price, however, it's worth it to keep these because I like their look and how they feel. Quality appears to be acceptable, but nothing special.