• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opinions about a suit for nicer events and parties - help.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have been looking for a suit that's a little more fashion forward and yet classic, something to wear to nice events and restaurants that won't look like you just came from work.

I found something interesting at the Nordstrom Rack that might fit the bill, but not 100% sure about it. It's a cheaper suit (some italian name, about $300 discounted, it's fused, etc
) but fits me like it was made to measure, nothing like my typically more conservative office suits. Think a bit more conservative that house cut TaT, very fitted.

-Black/Midnight Blue (I think more on the black side with a bluish sheen)
-No pinstripes or pattern
-95% wool 5% lycra - i am concerned that this will make it look and feel a little cheap - i don't have any suits that aren't 100% wool.
-Notch lapel
-dual vents
-two button
-flat front pants, perfect width.
-very suppressed waist, shoulders padded a bit much but it works ok since i have wide shoulders anyway.

I have a few questions for you guys:

-How appropriate is a suit like that (2B black slightly shiny) to wear to black tie optional, non-business events where the majority just wears nice suit + tie? It does have some of the tuxedo properties and looks pretty sophisticated, but i don't know?

-what would you wear it (a black suit) with (besides white shirt/dark tie) when you're going out

-if it fits really well, looks sharp, would it help me avoid funeral/men in black impression?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you seem to be well aware of TaT suits, why not just spend $150 more and get one?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since its a dark suit, you would have to rely on accessories to spice it up and avoid the funeral/business meeting look.

Try a tie with different texture (wine color silk knit tie), tie bars, more flashy square with puff fold, whimsical or patterned socks (like nagranis, paul smith or corgi) and a pair of less formal shoes.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
you seem to be well aware of TaT suits, why not just spend $150 more and get one?

Oh I will, just need something for this season..

and it probably won't be Midnight Blue/Black

It's almost like I don't wanna spend too much money for a party suit right now, and this is an answer that looks great and doesn't cost much.

the fabric bothers me a little - is it too cheap/crappy? (wool/lycra) ?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Since its a dark suit, you would have to rely on accessories to spice it up and avoid the funeral/business meeting look.

Try a tie with different texture (wine color silk knit tie), tie bars, more flashy square with puff fold, whimsical or patterned socks (like nagranis, paul smith or corgi) and a pair of less formal shoes.

oh for sure.. i love funky socks, pockets squares, all that.

how skinny can a tie get with a slim suit for a slightly more formal event?

daveboxster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc

+1

I have a black suit that I really like and I spice it just as described above. I also have some great textured shirts that help as well. Socks and tie are great ideas as well.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went back into the store today, tried it on and didn't like it that much. Oh well, maybe next time.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 139 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%