Opinion?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by freakseam, Dec 13, 2003.

1. freakseam

freakseam Senior member

Hello Gents: I wandered about bluefly, saw a cashmere sweater [Harrison 2-ply shaker stitch knit zip front cashmere mock turtleneck cardigan sweater/$150], and consequently wondered if any of you might have opinions to share on the quality-to-price ratio? On that last note, $30 for *cotton* Pringle sweater: good deal or no? Lastly, any thoughts on French Connection? I have no experience with their products and am assuming quality is on par with Banana Republic, etc. Correct, incorrect? Thanks for reading... [​IMG]

2. marc39

marc39 Well-Known Member

If it's the same Harrison firm known for Millionaire's Cashmere, then it's a first-rate name and the cloth is as well. MC is generally regarded as the finest cashmere available.

3. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

I just bought the Harrison sweater. The cashmere quality is quite good--it feels soft and rich, and better than the only other cashmere sweater I have (a Polo blue label). The only problem is that it's cut really generously, which is a disappointment because I've wanted a cashmere zip mock cardigan for some time. If I could find the Paper Denim version, I'd snap it up in an instant.

Question: is it possible for a seamstress to take in a knit sweater and make it slimmer fitting?

4. freakseam

freakseam Senior member

thank you marc39 and sevcom. i bought the harrison as well. i agree, the cut is generous; would love to hear input on alteration possibilities...i'm kinda debating doing an exchange...thing is, i'm trying it with various shirts and can't decide...hate when that happens [​IMG] sevcom, what size crewneck shirt do you typically wear and what size cardigan did you buy?

5. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

Either a size S or XS (I'm about a 39 inch chest with fairly broad shoulders and a 32 inch waist). I feel like I'm swimming in the size S Harrison, so if there's any way to tighten it up a bit, I'd welcome it. BTW, this is the sweater in question.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

A high quality sweater should be fully fashioned, that is it's knit as a piece rather than having components that are cut and sewn. Being fully fashioned means it's a nicer garment, but I would think would preclude its alteration. However, I'm sure there are those who know much more about such things than I.