• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion wanted on Nautica suits and sport jackets.

jbbreau

Reaction score
The title pretty much tells it all, I tried on a Nautica jacket and I have to tell you that I liked how it looked, even though the fit seemed not slim enough.

Anyways, a quick search didn't answer my question so this is why I ask.

I don't own a suit at the moment so it would be my first.

I would like to know what is the brand's reputation quality wise and durability wise.

Thank you very much,

Jean-Bernard

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Felix Krull

Reaction score
If one planned on going yachting, then I suppose Nautica would fit the bill. I don't think I could expect anyone to take me seriously if I were wearing a Nautica suit or sport coat in any business setting.

jbbreau

Reaction score
Thank you for that, I'm sorry if my question seems stupid but you don't learn if you don't ask...

Could you elaborate a little bit more on that please, is it solely because of the brand name or is there something about the suit or jacket itself that makes it inappropriate ?

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbbreau
Thank you for that, I'm sorry if my question seems stupid but you don't learn if you don't ask...

Could you elaborate a little bit more on that please, is it solely because of the brand name or is there something about the suit or jacket itself that makes it inappropriate ?

Originally Posted by rioni
junk

I think Rioni's eloquence is all the elaboration that is required. There are far, far better suits available than Nautica. I would no more wear a Nautica suit than I would wear Perry Ellis. You will look like a freshman at career day in a Nautica suit.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
junk
+1. NEVER! I don't think I've seen anyone wearing any Nautica apparel since high school

Jthaeler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbbreau

99% of people cannot tell the quality of a garment. You would be fine purchasing the jacket if the price was right. However, if you are looking to spend a little more, then there are a few things you should be aware of.

First is the fit. Do you have an athletic frame? What is your drop - meaning what is your chest size and then your waist size? The drop is a subtraction of the two. So a 10 inch drop would be a 50 inch chest and a 40 inch waist or any combination of sizes that will give you a value of 10.

Most RTW/OTR (ready to wear/off the rack) suits are made for people with LESS than a 10 inch drop. That is, athletic "cuts" usually only drop about 8-10 inches. If your drop is more than that, the suit is going to look baggy around your midsection.

Next is the fabric. What is the thread count (threads per square inch)? The higher the thread count GENERALLY indicates a higher quality garment, but this is dependent on the source of the wool. If you run your fingers over the suit it should feel almost silky and not like a burlap sack. Most employees should be able to tell you what the thread count is (can really range from 100 to super 200's). A good test you can perform is to crumple up the trouser leg in your hand (intentionally trying to give it wrinkles) and see how long it takes to come back to its original shape. If it doesn't reform to its status quo then I would move on.

Lastly the suit construction will tell you a lot about its quality. You should be looking for a full, sewn canvas and NOT a fused canvas. The canvas is an intermediate layer in the suit coat. Cheaper garments will fuse the canvas (gluing) and not hand sew it. A sewn canvas will make the jacket flow so you won't look like a stiff corpse. There are a few minor touches such as pick stitching and functional surgeon's cuffs, but these features aren't usually seen in a suit under $2,000. My guess is that the Nautica sports coat is MUCH cheaper than that!

So to sum this up, I think that you will likely be fine with purchasing a Nautica sports coat as long as you aren't paying more than something around $150. If you were, I would recommend that you go to a suit store and shop around!

Cavalier

Reaction score
$150 landed me a few beautiful Daniel Cremiux suits made of Loro Piani fabric from a Dilliard's Outlet. I could have done better on B&S too

I could not recommend Nautica suits even for 150

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Put it this way: I would rather take a Nautica jacket that fits well than a poorly fitted Corneliani/RLPL/Oxxford/Kilgour. Fit matters first and foremost.

That said, I would take a properly fitted Kilgour/Oxxford/Samuelsohn/Paul Stuart/etc.etc.etc. over Nautica, because their quality (cloth, construction) becomes plainly evident over time.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like Nautica for its seafaring tradition. Pirates and stuff like that.

- B

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I like Nautica for its seafaring tradition. Pirates and stuff like that.

- B

Are they doing a peg-leg line this year? I so badly want a hook or a peg-leg for office wear.

Jthaeler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Are they doing a peg-leg line this year? I so badly want a hook or a peg-leg for office wear.

No but they are bringing back the parrot stains on the shoulders. Supposed to be all the rave.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jthaeler
No but they are bringing back the parrot stains on the shoulders. Supposed to be all the rave.

Great - faux parrot poop. Whatever happened to authenticity? How did things come to this shoddy state? Pith helmets for the corporate raiders who read too much Hemingway, Sailing gear being marketed to the landlubbers in Armpit, NV, and now parrot stains on shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads