• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion wanted on Nautica suits and sport jackets.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jthaeler
No but they are bringing back the parrot stains on the shoulders. Supposed to be all the rave.

Absolutely...men get **** on by divorce courts all the time. Why not a shirt that shows you're already habituated to getting **** on?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
99% of people cannot tell the quality of a garment.

the 1% that can tell, are the ones that can tell because thats what they wear.

I've had the pleasure of bouncing around and idea with a guy who is very wealthy, even still in this economy, and I was impressed because he's one of the first guys who I've met that actually own and wear extremely expensive clothes daily. My idea was already patented in Denmark unfortunetly, but still i believe one of the reasons he spent the time to talk to me about it was that my presentation was well done.

Its always nice to know you're impressing the people who are worth impressing, my career path has changed quite a bit since then, but still its important to look the part of whatever it is you want to do.

Even the great Warren Buffet, who prides himself on being frugal, wears Zegna suits.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
When I see someone wear Nautica, I smell the sea, the gray roiling sea.

- B

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always associated the brand with sports wear, I didn't realize they were well known for suits and sportcoats.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Buffet wears Oxxford.

- B

Latest book on him called the snowball says Zegna.

I've never asked him to open his jacket, so i cant say with certainty. I'm assuming the author is accurate being that she spent a few days along side him.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Latest book on him called the snowball says Zegna.

I've never asked him to open his jacket, so i cant say with certainty. I'm assuming the author is accurate being that she spent a few days along side him.

Both times I've met him, he was wearing Oxxford. Instantly discernable.

There's also a oft repeated quotation where he says he wears Oxxford.

But..no reason why he can't wear Oxxford and Zegna...the key thing is: he's not a bespoke guy.

- B

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool cool, most likely both.

Oxxford makes sense, he seems like an oxford kinda guy.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
cool cool, most likely both.

Oxxford makes sense, he seems like an oxford kinda guy.

Buffet is Oxxford incarnate.

- B

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I see someone wear Nautica, I smell the sea, the gray roiling sea.

- B

Helly Hansen
bigstar[1].gif

jbbreau

Reaction score
99% of people cannot tell the quality of a garment. You would be fine purchasing the jacket if the price was right. However, if you are looking to spend a little more, then there are a few things you should be aware of.

First is the fit. Do you have an athletic frame? What is your drop - meaning what is your chest size and then your waist size? The drop is a subtraction of the two. So a 10 inch drop would be a 50 inch chest and a 40 inch waist or any combination of sizes that will give you a value of 10.

Most RTW/OTR (ready to wear/off the rack) suits are made for people with LESS than a 10 inch drop. That is, athletic "cuts" usually only drop about 8-10 inches. If your drop is more than that, the suit is going to look baggy around your midsection.

Next is the fabric. What is the thread count (threads per square inch)? The higher the thread count GENERALLY indicates a higher quality garment, but this is dependent on the source of the wool. If you run your fingers over the suit it should feel almost silky and not like a burlap sack. Most employees should be able to tell you what the thread count is (can really range from 100 to super 200's). A good test you can perform is to crumple up the trouser leg in your hand (intentionally trying to give it wrinkles) and see how long it takes to come back to its original shape. If it doesn't reform to its status quo then I would move on.

Lastly the suit construction will tell you a lot about its quality. You should be looking for a full, sewn canvas and NOT a fused canvas. The canvas is an intermediate layer in the suit coat. Cheaper garments will fuse the canvas (gluing) and not hand sew it. A sewn canvas will make the jacket flow so you won't look like a stiff corpse. There are a few minor touches such as pick stitching and functional surgeon's cuffs, but these features aren't usually seen in a suit under $2,000. My guess is that the Nautica sports coat is MUCH cheaper than that!

So to sum this up, I think that you will likely be fine with purchasing a Nautica sports coat as long as you aren't paying more than something around $150. If you were, I would recommend that you go to a suit store and shop around!

Thank you very much, this is the kind of advice I was hoping to get.

I am 5''9', 165 and I have an 8 inch drop.

So I guess I'll be able to find something that fits if I look long enough.

I'll probably be buying in may or june so I have time on my hands.

Thank you all,

Jean-Bernard

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would buy RL silver label, or American made RRL long before Nautica.

Jthaeler

Reaction score
Both times I've met him, he was wearing Oxxford. Instantly discernable.

- B

Both times I met him I fondled his balls for an hour and made a cool mill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics