• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on Woolrich Yankee boots?

fiercekrypton

Reaction score
What are yalls opinion of these boots? Any experience with them? Know of an alternative with the same quality and price but cap toes?

Last edited:

Whirling

Reaction score
I recently bought some unlined in the rough-out (aka suede) stone color Woolrich Yankee Voots. They are unlined, though Amazon had said they would be lined with wool. I am actually glad they aren't lined, so it was good for me. Various vendors online seem confused as to whether they are selling the line or unlined version. I believe the colors "Buckskin" and "Black" are lined, but the "Stone" suede and "Sunflower" are not, but I am far from certain.

The leather is absolutely first rate. There is one spot on the vamp where the is a very, very slight irregularity in the stitching. Most people wouldn't notice it. I find them extremely comfortable. The heel is actually very low, which is good for me.

Other reviewer have commented on the tongue. It is just a tad short, such that it barely reaches to the laces going across the top eyelets. I don't feel this is a big flaw, but the tongues really should be longer. I don't actually find this affects looks or comfort, but some might feel it didn't look right. Also, the tongue is not gusseted, so it can move side to side more, which is another potentially annoyance. Also, if you are really trying to keep out the snow or water, these boots wouldn't be ideal (though I think they are too nice for super heavy-duty use.)

Some other forum had people saying these were made by Weinbrenner USA/Thorogood, but that isn't true. The union label differs from those on the Weinbrenners. Also, more importantly, there are article on the web describing Portland Product Werks making these boots for Woolrich. The former is a new company in Portland, Oregon, started by some shoe industry veterans as a manufacturer of private-label footwear. As an aside, I think Weinbrenner/Thorogood boots are wonderful, and can be had at great prices. I actually bought these based on people claiming Weinbrenner made them.

At full price they certainly face some stiff competition, but, discounted, as they frequently are, they can be tremendous value. I even decided to buy a second pair, in "Sunflower," at only 25% off.

Sizing: I am very happy with the Woolwich Yankee boots in 9.5 medium...(The boots say 9.5 D, but, confusingly, Amazon calls them 9.5 B(M)). I wear 10D in most Allen Edmonds shoes, including Park Avenues, Leeds, and Dundees. I wear a 9.5D in Red Wing Iron Rangers, but find those a tad too large. The Red Wing Foreman Chukka in 9.5 D fits me very nicely. I wear Barrie-lasted Alden cordovan chukkas in 10D, but probably should have gone with a 9.5D, instead. In Weinbrenner/Thorogood, I wear a 9.5 D, which fits me very well. Most sneakers, I wear a 10.5D. My Brannock size is 10D on right and 9.5D on left.

I hope all this helps.

Regards,
Jon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads