• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on two suits! (Canali vs Ring Jacket)

silentsim

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am debating between two suits and wanted the wisdom of SF. This would be one of my first suits in the "higher" tier from Hugo Boss etc. Both are on great sales but can only afford one.

First one is a Canali.
m_5000091400_01-2.jpeg

Second one is Ring Jacket
264c88c4-0dcc-4f04-a502-646ecf9cebdf.jpeg

Look forward to the wisdom of the collective. I am a bigger guy (US 46/EUR 56)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are vastly different in terms of style and functionality.

Knowing your needs/aims/wants would yield better advice.

In a vacuum I would choose the Ring Jacket simply because I think their quality is above Canalis.

silentsim

Reaction score
These are vastly different in terms of style and functionality.

Knowing your needs/aims/wants would yield better advice.

In a vacuum I would choose the Ring Jacket simply because I think their quality is above Canalis.
Professional environment, looking for a wearable suit as it will be my nicest suit. I do already have plain greys and navy’s so looking for something with a bit more of a pattern

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m only familiar with Ring from reading and hearing others’ experience with the brand. I’ve heard all good things.

I’ve seen, felt and tried on Canali and I was left very unimpressed. It’s an Italian suit for those who want to say they own an Italian suit. Just my observation.

compuccesory

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am debating between two suits and wanted the wisdom of SF. This would be one of my first suits in the "higher" tier from Hugo Boss etc. Both are on great sales but can only afford one.

First one is a Canali.
View attachment 1422033

Second one is Ring Jacket
View attachment 1422034

Look forward to the wisdom of the collective. I am a bigger guy (US 46/EUR 56)

I was eyeing that very same RJ but I guess you sniped me. Went with the navy plaid instead, can't wait for it to arrive. Also going to be upset if they discount further during their aniversary sale. I'm kind of uncomfortable paying close to or over $500 for a suit so I may end up returning it anyway and seeing if it gets discounted more.

silentsim

Reaction score
I was eyeing that very same RJ but I guess you sniped me. Went with the navy plaid instead, can't wait for it to arrive. Also going to be upset if they discount further during their aniversary sale. I'm kind of uncomfortable paying close to or over $500 for a suit so I may end up returning it anyway and seeing if it gets discounted more.
500 for RJ? I paid way more? Which one did you get

compuccesory

Reaction score
500 for RJ? I paid way more? Which one did you get

It was just a ballpark figure. There was a grey one for $556 but it was sold out as well.

And purely based on supply and demand, RJ rarely goes on sale if it's sold in the US at all, while every department store is overflowing with Canalis, I guarantee you'll be able to get that or a similar one later for less.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about in. Personally I’m not a fan of them. I typically wear a suit to more social events and pinstripes are more in line with business apparel. It’s not a hard and fast rule of course; just my personal taste.

In this case, the stripes aren’t so bold so I could go other way. If you’re getting it at a good price, sure, why not. Go for it.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Phileas Fogg is generally correct. Pin stripes are more of a work look. I'm not sure they've been "in" or "out" for decades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads