1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

opinion on twill dress shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by montmorency, Feb 5, 2005.

1. montmorency

montmorency Senior Member

I am planning on buying some custom shirts and have been thinking of getting a white dress shirt in a twill fabric. It seems to be a little different, but still appropriate for business. However, it is hard for me to tell from a small sample what the fabric is really like. I am wondering if anyone has one or has seen one. Is it too thick a fabric? Is it suitable only for the winter? Any responses would be appreciated.

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Depends on how thick. A fine twill is fine for business, either alone, under an odd jacket, or with a suit. It also isn't noticeably hotter than a broadcloth IMO -- unless it's over 90 degrees or very humid (think NYC in the summer), you'll be just as comfortable.

I like having a good mix of twills and broadcloths -- I would get sick of either if that's all I had.

3. bch

bch Senior Member

Agreed. Don't think of cotton twill as what your khakis are made of. Twill can be very comfortable for the heat, and it's soft. Depending on its thickness, I think it can breathe a little better than broadcloth.

4. bch

bch Senior Member

And I forgot to add that twill has more body and seems more resistant to wrinkles, which is nice.