• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on Toggle Closure Duffle Coats? (help hooker4186 be a man of style and taste)

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

As I have finished university and am moving into the corporate world I'm trying to get my **** together and move past jeans/t-shirts/flipflops into presenting myself a little better (I know, I should have thought of this a long time ago).

I'm trying to get my personal style down and as I'm still trying to figure out what that is, I'm settling for the time on trying to buy clothes with a bit more timelessness that I can wear for a couple (or many) years and still look pretty good.

All that said, I live in Philly and it's getting cold and I'm looking for a coat to wear to the office - right now I'm wearing an older Quicksilver coat that to me projects the image that I'm still in college, and I'm looking for something a little nicer.

I'm wondering what you think about this coat - are toggle closures like this cheesy? Will a coat like this look weird if I wore it in four or five years?

Thanks a lot. Please don't flame me.

m_wave

Reaction score
My feeling on this is that the toggles make this coat more casual. I DB peacoat might serve your needs better, or a cashmere overcoat if you are wearing suits every day.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you wear to the office?

Toggle coats are timeless...however this could be a bit on the informal side, a peacoat or car coat as m_wave suggested could be safer and/or classier...

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
What do you wear to the office?

Toggle coats are timeless...however this could be a bit on the informal side, a peacoat or car coat as m_wave suggested could be safer and/or classier...

My feeling on this is that the toggles make this coat more casual. I DB peacoat might serve your needs better said:
I don't wear suits every day (or very often) - mostly khakis or black dress pants with polos/dress shirts - it's a business casual setting. I also don't have a ton of money and am looking for versatility if I was to buy this coat - if I could get it to stretch over both going to the office and kicking around town on a Friday night I'd be happy. The coat I posted I could get for about $130 it looks like - I wanted something wool and something blue as I already have a black peacoat. I know $130 isn't a lot for most people but times are hard and I would like something that would last me a while and be versatile.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toggle closures coats (and the occasional sweater I've come across) usually look best on older men (with at least some grey hair) or youngsters (college age or below).
For almost everyone in between they look as if you're trying too hard.
All my humble opinion of course. . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads