• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on these shoe selections?

Bob01

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am looking into (finally) retiring my old crappy shoes (square toed Aldos & sneakers ... just got back to the States)

I took the advice of getting fitted for an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue - they seem to fit a bit snug on the sides of the arch, but seemed ok. Currently I am between jobs, so I'm looking at E-bay. What I've found thus far:

Belmont - Burgandy
8e8f_1.JPG

8f56_1.JPG

Thayer - Black

3c6a_1.JPG

3c8d_1.JPG

3caf_1.JPG

Dellwood - Chili

AEDellwood1.jpg

AEDellwood2.jpg

AEDellwood3.jpg

AEDellwood4.jpg

AEDellwood5.jpg

AEDellwood6.jpg

Warren - Black
bbd5_1.JPG

Redding - Black
6b55_1.JPG

6f4d_1.JPG

7595_1.JPG

Wilbert - Brown
42ad_1.JPG

Berkley - Black

cf0e_1.JPG

I was thinking of bidding for:
Redding for my interview/conservative/formal shoes
Wilbert for casual evenings/chores/weekend shoes (Currently boat shoes, its getting a bit cold for them now though ;-))
Thayer for smart casual/jeans maybe for business casual in the office
Warren or Dellwood for the work days where I need/want a rubber sole/inclement weather - though leaning more toward the Warren since it has a full rubber sole - but I'm liking the color of the Dellwood.

Does the lineup cover the basics? With the exception to the the Thayer, there doesn't appear to be much demand/competition for Allen Edmonds of my size and/or these styles- For the other shoes on the list, If no one bids on them, I may E-mail the seller and see if they are willing to sell for a lower price. If I do that, can I ask how you would rank them in the order of need for one who is mostly building/redoing his shoe collection and where/how they can be worn? Right now I have a pair of suede-ish looking tan boat shoes, some running shoes, 2 pairs of square toed Aldos (that will probably be assigned as my bar shoes).

With Park Avenues being based on a Last 5, and me finding them a bit snug on the sides of the arch, but everything else feeling ok, would the styles above being based on Lasts 8 (Thayer), 2 (Warren), 1(Wilbert), 0 (Berkley) be more or less the same fit? Would they eventually wear in?

laugh.gif
Thanks in Advance!,

Bob

Bob01

Reaction score
Looking at the Wilbert again - this example looks a bit too worn, especially looking at what its suppose to look like on AE's site...
1951.jpg
So instead of that one, what about this Ferragamo for the nicer/dressier casual shoe? I guess for just plain walking around shoes, I can get some rockports...
a406_12.JPG
420c_12.JPG
a757_12.JPG
a6ad_0.JPG
a555_12.JPG
a499_12.JPG

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW The only ones id consider are the Belmont & Reading.
I actually think the Belmont is the best of the bunch.
Really dislike the Warren & Berkley, but as they say YMMV
As for sizing, cant help, no us made shoes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads