• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opinion on these shoe selections?

Bob01

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am looking into (finally) retiring my old crappy shoes (square toed Aldos & sneakers ... just got back to the States)

I took the advice of getting fitted for an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue - they seem to fit a bit snug on the sides of the arch, but seemed ok. Currently I am between jobs, so I'm looking at E-bay. What I've found thus far:

Belmont - Burgandy

Thayer - Black

Dellwood - Chili

Warren - Black

Redding - Black

Wilbert - Brown

Berkley - Black

I was thinking of bidding for:
Redding for my interview/conservative/formal shoes
Wilbert for casual evenings/chores/weekend shoes (Currently boat shoes, its getting a bit cold for them now though ;-))
Thayer for smart casual/jeans maybe for business casual in the office
Warren or Dellwood for the work days where I need/want a rubber sole/inclement weather - though leaning more toward the Warren since it has a full rubber sole - but I'm liking the color of the Dellwood.

Does the lineup cover the basics? With the exception to the the Thayer, there doesn't appear to be much demand/competition for Allen Edmonds of my size and/or these styles- For the other shoes on the list, If no one bids on them, I may E-mail the seller and see if they are willing to sell for a lower price. If I do that, can I ask how you would rank them in the order of need for one who is mostly building/redoing his shoe collection and where/how they can be worn? Right now I have a pair of suede-ish looking tan boat shoes, some running shoes, 2 pairs of square toed Aldos (that will probably be assigned as my bar shoes).

With Park Avenues being based on a Last 5, and me finding them a bit snug on the sides of the arch, but everything else feeling ok, would the styles above being based on Lasts 8 (Thayer), 2 (Warren), 1(Wilbert), 0 (Berkley) be more or less the same fit? Would they eventually wear in?

Thanks in Advance!,

Bob

Bob01

Reaction score
Looking at the Wilbert again - this example looks a bit too worn, especially looking at what its suppose to look like on AE's site...
So instead of that one, what about this Ferragamo for the nicer/dressier casual shoe? I guess for just plain walking around shoes, I can get some rockports...

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW The only ones id consider are the Belmont & Reading.
I actually think the Belmont is the best of the bunch.
Really dislike the Warren & Berkley, but as they say YMMV
As for sizing, cant help, no us made shoes...

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 144 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 36 8.2%