• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opinion on these for wedding shoes please

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
Those are pretty casual for a funeral.
 

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
1,845
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by grimslade
Those are pretty casual for a funeral.

Never knew funerals = weddings.



The boots would work IMO.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
They're casual chukka boots, not for suits... even if they're black suits.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
Originally Posted by Zenny
Never knew funerals = weddings.

Sorry; the black suit confused me.


Originally Posted by Zenny
The boots would work IMO.

Why not? He's already wearing a black suit.
 

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
1,845
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by acidicboy
They're casual chukka boots, not for suits... even if they're black suits.

As long has his pants have a reasonable break (i.e. not a Thom Browne) who can tell that he's wearing chukkas.

The sole isn't chunky, and the leather is of high gloss. And I'm sure that this wedding will not be populated by the SF Police.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
In that case, he shouldn't care what we think, right? Because we think they suck for a wedding and he should get some real dress shoes.
 

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
1,845
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by grimslade
In that case, he shouldn't care what we think, right? Because we think they suck for a wedding and he should get some real dress shoes.

"I'm not familiar with the brand, are they decent for sub $200 shoes?"

We could always help him with that
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
Originally Posted by Zenny
"I'm not familiar with the brand, are they decent for sub $200 shoes?"

We could always help him with that


We could teach by suggesting something else. From the same site:
http://www.zappos.com/images/714/714...07-97063-p.jpg

We could also teach that the brand is not really a bang-for-the-buck brand and he could get a better pair from Allen Edmond, Alden or the other brands if they're on sale. All he has to do is look around SF.
 

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
1,845
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by acidicboy
We could teach by suggesting something else. From the same site:
http://www.zappos.com/images/714/714...07-97063-p.jpg

We could also teach that the brand is not really a bang-for-the-buck brand and he could get a better pair from Allen Edmond, Alden or the other brands if they're on sale. All he has to do is look around SF.


Thanks, I don't know much about J&M so I couldn't help.

To the OP, are you getting married or going to someone's wedding?
 

aldica

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
78
Reaction score
1
I agree with the others, these shoes a much too casual for a wedding. A cap toe or plain calf oxford is what I would suggest.
 

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by acidicboy
We could teach by suggesting something else. From the same site:
http://www.zappos.com/images/714/714...07-97063-p.jpg

We could also teach that the brand is not really a bang-for-the-buck brand and he could get a better pair from Allen Edmond, Alden or the other brands if they're on sale. All he has to do is look around SF.


Classic SF advice, well done.
 

m7ammad

Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Oh man.. I must've been really sleepy when I posted this last night! I should've never mentioned my black suit!

But I appreciate your opinion gentlemen. I like boots in general, and I figured I would get much more use out of these versus a plain or captoe oxfords, as I rarely wear a suit. I just wanted to get your opinion if they were dressy enough, and they're not.

Thanks!
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,512
Reaction score
3,505
Originally Posted by m7ammad
Oh man.. I must've been really sleepy when I posted this last night! I should've never mentioned my black suit!

But I appreciate your opinion gentlemen. I like boots in general, and I figured I would get much more use out of these versus a plain or captoe oxfords, as I rarely wear a suit. I just wanted to get your opinion if they were dressy enough, and they're not.

Thanks!


Why not get some dressier boots then?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,234
Messages
9,230,927
Members
193,766
Latest member
salvpi
Top