• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opinion on these boots.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody comment on these Justin Boots both in terms of construction and styling? I'm looking for a rounded/narrow toe boot that is around $100. I don't exactly like cowboy boots, but I'm looking for something a bit more casual with a more pronounced heel (about 1 inch) to wear with my jeans. I'm hoping to use these to try out some dying techniques before I move onto my dress shoes.

What do you guys think?

In cherry or gray
http://www.sheplers.com/mens/roper_w...n/028001.html#

In brown (from a different website). I'm gonna remove the front apron
http://www.sheplers.com/mens/lace_up/028077.html

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Justin Ropers are classic boots. My friend has a pair and he looks good wearing them. That said, he's a pretty rugged guy.

I have a pair of these that I've been happy with, but you said that you were looking for something not very cowboy.

There is also the Frye Jett, which is also called the Jetboot in some places. If you search around, I think you can find some on sale. (They would still be a little more expensive than the Ropers, though.)

Good luck!

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how are the Justin boots sized? big like red wings, or what?

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend says that they run true to size!

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting some RM Williams, lately. I might just have to get a pair of these as well. Western is what I really like so they'd probably see a decent amount of wear.

JBG

Reaction score
Justin ropers are a good value and should last you a number of years. They also aren't too "Western" so they are quite versatile.

My personal favorite are Frye 10R Ropers in Earth (their version of dark brown).

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the price of the Justin Roper I think I'd probably just drop the extra $75 or so and get the Fry Roper 10R or the Frye Jetts. Those Justins do seem like a decent pair of boots but if you plan on wearing them for 5-10 years why settle for decent, eh?

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
At the price of the Justin Roper I think I'd probably just drop the extra $75 or so and get the Fry Roper 10R or the Frye Jetts. Those Justins do seem like a decent pair of boots but if you plan on wearing them for 5-10 years why settle for decent, eh?

XChen,

If you're a size 7.5 through 9, you can pick the Frye Jett from Bluefly for around $115. I sized down 1/2 on the Frye Dillons that I have, and from asking around (including a call to the Frye company) it seems that you should size down 1/2 for the Jett as well (unless you have particularly wide feet, in which case they run true to size; for reference, I wear between a C and a D and I sized down 1/2 and they fit me fine).

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 10.5 D normally. I'll probably pick these up sometime in the next 3 months.

SartorialSheepdog

Reaction score
They are fairly standard when it comes to sizing and a decent boot though made in China. For what it is worth, mMy personal go-to boots are engineering boots.

Dave Walker

Reaction score
It obviously depends what you're in to, but personally I think both aren't that aesthetically pleasing although the laced pair would stay on your feet!

blackgrass

Reaction score
Justins seem to run true to size. I have several pair and have worn them since the 80's. For $100 you really can't go wrong. When it's time to resole just get another pair.
I don't like the lace up boots....a little too West Texas if you ask me.

Also....You might check out Dan Post or Ariat.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 34 15.5%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 37 16.9%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Carmina

Votes: 33 15.1%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 36 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 72 32.9%