• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on SuitSupply M2M suit

mansy

Reaction score
Hi

As a first tentative step into the world of bespoke tailoring I decided to get a Suitsupply made to measure suit.

The overall experience was pretty positive and the guy that dealt with me suggested that I wore the suit for a couple of months and then come back for any alterations.

Before I go back into the store would you mind giving me your opinion on the fit and make any recommendations for things that need to be tweaked.

The jacket is the Napoli cut if anyone is interested.

Thanks ever so much for your help it is really appreciated
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh. People should ask for help before making important decisions. The jacket is too tight in the chest and in the mid-back (can be let out, presumably). The shoulders are off and might need to be rotated ($$$). The flap pockets near the waist are unflattering. A jacket with stronger shoulders might have been better. Also, easy correction - the tie makes too much navy.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Return. See what MI-Consultant said

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You actually walked out of the store with this? I don't think you should wait a few months before going back, you should go back ASAP. That is a bad fit for RTW and it makes it even worse that this is MTM

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Are the divots the indication that the arm pitch is off and require the shoulders to be rotated?

Also, aren't hacking pockets generally unflattering as they create the illusion of a protruding stomach?

Last edited:

mansy

Reaction score
Thanks very much to you all for the comments.
Sigh. People should ask for help before making important decisions. The jacket is too tight in the chest and in the mid-back (can be let out, presumably). The shoulders are off and might need to be rotated ($$$). The flap pockets near the waist are unflattering. A jacket with stronger shoulders might have been better. Also, easy correction - the tie makes too much navy.

@ mensimageconsultant
Why did you do made to measure?

@ Superfluous
Despite doing a fair bit of background reading both here and on other websites I didn't feel prepared enough to order bespoke and pay a large amount of money. This suit was reasonably priced and I thought it would be a good way of getting comfortable with the process, learning what I like/dislike, being more assertive with what I want, etc.

Are the divots the indication that the arm pitch is off and require the shoulders to be rotated?

Also, aren't hacking pockets generally unflattering as they create the illusion of a protruding stomach?

@ Claghorn
In my case it might not be an "illusion"
smile.gif

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks very much to you all for the comments.

@ mensimageconsultant

@ Superfluous
     Despite doing a fair bit of background reading both here and on other websites I didn't feel prepared enough to order bespoke and pay a large amount of money. This suit was reasonably priced and I thought it would be a good way of getting comfortable with the process, learning what I like/dislike, being more assertive with what I want, etc.

@ Claghorn
    In my case it might not be an "illusion" :)

But why did you do made to measure instead of off the rack?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The picture is currently not visible. From memory, pocket height isn't the issue - rather, it's that the flaps drawing the eye toward the waist and making it clear that it's almost as wide as the shoulders, which is not the ideal male shape. Rotating the shoulders is unrelated to the shoulder pads - but leave that to a tailor to determine what the actual problem is.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of styling and fit are you looking for?

Sleeves and lower back/mid section could be fixed, looks decent otherwise. Only people that would notice are those that really care about suiting, and they're a really tiny bracket in the real world...if that's something that would bother you.

facet

Reaction score
It's not that bad. The waist is tight creating the pulling in the back and the divots in the shoulder are partly due to the sleeve pitch and the shape of the sleeve head; neither require messing with the shoulder pads but rotating the position of the sleeve and reshaping it at the top. They're doable alterations as long as the tailor is very good.

The pants are a little narrow for my tastes and I'm generally not a fan of the hacking pockets myself but it's not the worse thing that could be done to a suit. Flaps are pretty common for pockets so I don't see a problem with that per se and you can always tuck them in if you want. Overall, I don't think it looks that bad.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For off-the-rack, it's not bad. For MTM presumably done in-person, it is.

Last edited:

Winendine

Reaction score
which SuitSupply location did this MTM suit for you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads