Opinion on people that CC on everything?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by GQgeek, Aug 9, 2011.

1. dcg

dcg Senior member

One of the other consulting firms for a client of mine CC's the client on every email request he sends to me.

The client thinks he is an incompetent twat and often responds to indicate that he doesn't want me wasting my time on the request.

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

My boss likes to reply all, cc, fwd all manner of inconsequential irrelevant crap. I also get duplicate emails from time to time.
    I turn around and reply all, cc, fwd and generally bombard his inboxes as much as I can. It's a cyber battle.

He also clips out pointless articles from journals, newspapers, trade rags and catalogs and puts them on my desk.
    I read the first few but now they all get shelved immediately.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

The people that do it to make others look bad are the worst imo. Obviously, sometimes there's no getting around making someone look bad because they just didn't do something or they screwed something up, but in more marginal cases where it could have been handled between individuals, I'm wondering what other managers/execs think about the practice?

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Personally, I loathe it since it's so transparent. I usually counsel the people who work for me to keep things in the family and try to work things out. "Victims" of the practice don't forget and before you know it, a fuckin' arms race of public humiliation breaks out, which is toxic..

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Agreed.

Also, in healthcare, when you're busy tossing someone under the bus you just might be creating a discoverable document for my least favorite people in the world, i.e. med-mal lawyers. I've ripped a few new assholes for this.

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

This.

I never understand people like this. Even if someone makes a mistake, unless it happens repeatedly and/or directly effects your job performance, why go out of your way to point it out? Some people have a superiority complex and get off on making others look bad.

7. riverrun

riverrun Senior member

I know! like all the people in this thread one upping each other over who comes down harder on their employees when said employees cc people.

cc: Styleforum

8. scientific

scientific Senior member

yep knowing who and when to cc is definitely an important skill

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I only cc my boss on specific emails that I think are appropriate for him to know about. And I expect the same good judgement from those who work for me.

I never bcc anything. If I feel that something is so controversial that it merits a bcc then I forward it separately with an explanation preceeding it.

Anything negative about another person in my company is handled via personal communication - PERIOD.

My company has a records rentention policy that includes ALL email - it all goes into permanent folders by project. Caution is the rule.

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

+1. Welcome to Academia!

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

So true. I have a passive-aggressive colleague who starts every email with some thinly-veiled, snarky comment and usually copies the Dean. I pity her husband.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  12. Piobaire

That's an odd retention policy. My policy is all email gets deleted on a six month rolling basis. Email is discoverable folks. Saving it is not cautious but rather foolhardy. People say the stupidest things in email no matter how many times you warn them it is discoverable.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Deleted or archived? I thought you HAD to retain for years under hipaa? Or is that just SOX?

14. Piobaire

You need to retain medical records for various lengths of time, depending on what level of licensing the encounter occurred at. Five or seven years are the two most common time frames. Emails are not considered part of a chart but they are completely discoverable. In fact, a subpoena duces tecums will usually specifically ask for any emails concerning the patient in question be produces. If they're not there, oh well. :)

As an aside, isn't it sad that a non-lawyer even knows the term "subpoena duces tecums"?

15. acularw

acularw Senior member

The delete key works wonders...