• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on Nordstrom Loro Piana needed

acrackl

Reaction score
Gentlemen, Your opinion appreciated on the John W Nordstrom suit with Loro Piana fabric. I searched past threads and couldn't find a someone having researched this. The website doesnt mention anything about fused/canvassed etc. I went to the store (Houston Galleria) and the salesman mentioned they do not carry it.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that price point, $695 retail, the jacket is at best half canvassed, i.e., canvassed in the chest only.

There is really nothing wrong with that, as modern day fusing techniques have come a long way. The thing is, folks on this forum being value-hunters and bargain-shoppers, even a sale price of $465 is still too high for the quality you get.

For $465, if you wait long enough, something along the line of the RL blue label by Corneliani should show up on the Buy&Sale forum. But that's if you are not some weird size or shape.

acrackl

Reaction score
Thanks lee. I am a 42R - usually I end up missing out on the good deals on the B&S forum. Some of that is also my unfamiliarity with buying clothes online. I have been looking at some Samuelsohns on STP - which STP mentions as fully canvassed, not much higher ~$700 (with STP coupons or first time buyer options), I should be able to bring that down. Thanks for the help.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is probably made by Jack Victor or Arnold Brant--that is, it's not bad, but not worth $700 unless you need a suit and don't have time to shop around.

acrackl

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Not that I am in a hurry to buy a suit. But I am not that good when it comes to snapping up good bargains. So that I can keep a lookout - what brands would you recommend (yes I did look at the lengthy discussion on suits), and any retailer/etailer I should be looking at. I am in Houston, and my budget is ~$1000. I currently have a Brooks Brothers Madison (?, not the GF, the next one below that).

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trick about shopping online is the absolute need to know precisely what your suit/jacket measurements are, and also to be sure that the seller supplying the measurements know what he is talking about.

Patience and the free time to hunt through various sites is also a must. If time to you is so valuable to be "wasting" on bargain hunting, than full retail at a brick&mortar store is probably your best choice.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
For $465, if you wait long enough, something along the line of the RL blue label by Corneliani should show up on the Buy&Sale forum. But that's if you are not some weird size or shape.

They aren't much more than that at Ralph's right now.

I only own one Nordstrom item, a 'trim' fit shirt, that is pretty well made for the price. If the suits follow that then they probably represent a good value.

singlechange

Reaction score
If I were you and realize I'm not, I would go for the bespoke Kilgour 3-piece suit now on U.K. Ebay. That is, if preowned is a consideration. It's dark blue with white pinstripes and the manufacture date is 1986. In your size 42. Asking BIN is $146.00. If it were anywhere close to my size I'd grab it in a New York minute.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads